Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a Spring Clean

Options
  • 17-10-2013 7:04pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I know, its winter....

anyway. This place seems to have fallen into disuse and we have a forum request for a cloud computing forum \o/

so. here's what I suggest.

We play some A-team music, we kick off a montage of posts being deleted / clacking of keyboards, new posts appearing, then we do a whole camera-following-an-electric-blob-through-a-PC-out-the-modem-cuetelephonenoises-and-along-the-wire-to-the-internets.

and voila! a new forum is born...emmmm... I think I may actually need to do some stuff for that to happen.

in the meantime.

I'm open to suggestions for what this space can be used for within the realm of Cloud/Distributed Computing.

Virtualisation discussion?
    Big Data / Data mining ?

Bear in mind whats already out there:
    VoiP / nets and comms / server hardware / Windows /linux etc.

we dont want to step on toes.

so, throw out some suggestions. It doesnt have to be awe inspiring, it just needs to get the ball rolling while I sort out the decor.

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cloud. I hate that term. When I was in Red Hat I said we should write an RFC defining what "cloud" was, and future "clouds" if they didn't comply would have to be referred to as an RFC non-compliant cloud.

It was a joke, but no-one on my team could agree what an RFC for cloud would involve. Therein lies our difficulty I suspect.

Could we coin a boards only term to describe Cloud/distributed computing/Big Data? Yore Ma meets Cloud?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

syklops wrote: »
    Cloud. I hate that term. When I was in Red Hat I said we should write an RFC defining what "cloud" was, and future "clouds" if they didn't comply would have to be referred to as an RFC non-compliant cloud.

It was a joke, but no-one on my team could agree what an RFC for cloud would involve. Therein lies our difficulty I suspect.

Could we coin a boards only term to describe Cloud/distributed computing/Big Data? Yore Ma meets Cloud?

Cloud is all things to all men. It is the alpha and the omega.....

I think its a deliberately vague term so "morketting" types can sell anything they want in fancy wrapping paper.

to me, cloud is a series of virtual machines configured in a way that allows a huge amount of flexibility in how guest OSes are deployed and interacted with (how resources are divided maybe?). That's it.

but its the ambiguity that's the problem when it comes to making a forum about it. What can we cover without stepping on the toes of our neighbours? Software defined networks? you sort of need them for cloudiness but they'd possibly be best discussed in nets/comms (unless we do it on the sly and if they notice we pretend we were going to move the threads over at some stage...)

as for My ma meeting Cloud...are you insinuating anything about how I got made Admin? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Itzy, You initiated this change, why don't you weigh in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm swaying towards the services now on the go with Cloud, such as SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and NaaS. It is a rebranding effectively from Distributed Computing, but I instigated the chance to provide a forum to keep up to date on the current technologies and shared experiences. Big Data and Analytics seems to be the next big thing as well.

So I made the suggestion to provide a place just for the purposes of knowledge sharing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From my post in the Forum Requests thread (amended):

PaaS, BaaS, MBaaS, SaaS, DBaaS Virtual servers(although the O/S on top might be better to suited to the existing forums).

AppFog v Heroku v EngineYard / XXXXXX
    SalesForce.com / Intalio / Service-Now,
    AWS / Google App Engine, Azure
    Twilio
    Parse.com v self-hosted BaaS like Deployd / Helios

Cloud based: DNS, E-Mail, CDN's, E-Commerce Solutions etc.

Would it be worthwhile considering what info could be usefully stickied to the top of the forum? As well as a useful resource, it might also point people in the 'distributed computing forum' direction when searching boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'll throw in a few suggestions
    if this ever changing world in which we live in makes you give in and cry,
    well then I'd like a reference to
    1 what is current and industry standard,
    2 - current and available to the common folk for free
    3 - up and becoming, or stuff just launched and potentially interesting
    4 - old and to be forgotten
    5 - useful references and essential tools

I had put together a compilation of free cloud storage that might be more relevant here than the other forum.
    Also any free to try without bankrupting your cc alternatives to Amazon

so basically everything, but with a silver lining.

Advertisement