Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from Reserves to Permanent Defence Forces

Options
  • 17-10-2013 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I'm 28 now so too old for joining the PDF but would there be such a thing as joining the RDF and say 5 years down the road being allowed to join the PDF, specifically the Air Corps even though there's no Reserves Air Corps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

I'm 28 now so too old for joining the PDF but would there be such a thing as joining the RDF and say 5 years down the road being allowed to join the PDF, specifically the Air Corps even though there's no Reserves Air Corps?

Unfortunatley not, you need to be discharged from the reserve before you can start with the PDF.

If your dead set on a joining the df, a cadetship is your best bet. Not entirely sure what the age limit is but its on military.ie and is extended if you have a degree, joining the rdf in the meantime (when they're recruiting) can only help an application for a cadetship.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Too old, and unless you join the RDF (35) and they get called out on permanent service like during the Troubles on the border, and they decide to admit some ''lucky-bags'', then you won't be joining the PDF. Sorry to be the bearer and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

ruserious wrote: »
    Too old, and unless you join the RDF (35) and they get called out on permanent service like during the Troubles on the border, and they decide to admit some ''lucky-bags'', then you won't be joining the PDF. Sorry to be the bearer and all that..

Lucky bags ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Lucky bags ?

Back in the 90's, Some RDF troops who served along side PDF troops in ATCP roles were offered a permanent position in the PDF.

The "lucky" few of the "sandbags" were christened "lucky bags". Some were good and some were Shiite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lol. And wats sandbags ?
    I take it the PDF don't get on with part time troops

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Its just military banter - sandbags or baggers are RDF pers - some of us baggers do take offence to it, personally, considering what ive called some PDF pers in the past - have no problem with it.

To be honest, the PDF soldier will give you enough rope to hang yourself anyway ... i.e. if you do the job to your best ability and show you are mostly capable considering the limited training you have access to they will respect it mostly and encourage you.

however if you are a retarded oxygen thief with the hand to eye coordination of a blind snake then you wont earn any respect. This works both ways too by the way. So in my book, PDF mostly get on with RDF and ive never personally been subject to ridicule from the lads. lot of my mates are PDF now anyway.

the minority are not worth worrying about as quite an amount of PDF these days were involved in the RDF at some stage or had someone in their family involved...

Sure were all part of the single force concept now, RDF reserve companies under the control of parent PDF Battalions.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

Just wondering with these PDF lads is it more a case of them not viewing the lads in the RDF as "real" members of the Defence Forces? I've heard from a handful of lads that they just looked at them like they only joined to make their CV look good. Mind you this is from lads who joined back in the FCA days and that very well may have been the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Some PDF troops think that RDF troops are a waste of money, equipment and resources.

Most recently I overheard a guy complaining about not getting a basic parachute course, yet again. He was querying as to why slots had been allotted to RDF troops.

Most lads see no problem with them. Most RDF lads I have worked with have been very competent, switched on and enthusiastic.

Like Morpheus said above, some are good, some are bad.....RDF and PDF

Advertisement