Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda chief to study report on detectives lovehate role

Options
  • 17-10-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-chief-to-study-report-on-detectives-lovehate-role-kieran-oreilly-detective-29663659.html

GARDA Commissioner Martin Callinan is to receive a report which will determine whether a member of his force should undergo a full disciplinary investigation for his role in RTE's award-winning 'Love/Hate' series.

The commissioner said that Sunday's episode, in which garda national drugs unit member Kieran O'Reilly made his acting debut as an undercover officer, had raised issues which needed to be addressed.

He said he had discussed the programme with some of his senior officers and had decided to appoint a superintendent to assess the impact of the programme.

After studying the report, Mr Callinan will then determine whether Det Garda O'Reilly should face an official disciplinary process.

He said it was not appropriate at this stage to comment on whether the garda should face the process until the initial assessment had been finished.

It is understood that the assessment will include an examination of the roles and activities of the members of the fictional garda unit set up to tackle the organised crime gang led by 'Nidge', and whether Det Gda O'Reilly's participation had provided an element of authenticity to its behaviour.

'Love/Hate' sources said the garda had no advisory role when the scripts were being written and had not been auditioned for the part until long after the scripts had been drafted.

Firstly I think that Mr O'Reilly can really act. The first scene is one of the best sequences that love/hate have ever done and he was really great in it. It was a brilliant reveal.

I also thought he was really good when he stated the line "he has a bad attitude to gardai". Also when he explained the Section 15 (a) to elmo I remember thinking to myself the actor really nailed that the way guards say it. I had never seen any actor do it properly up until then in any tv show/film. They just don't deliver it right.

So I thought it was pretty cool when I heard that he was actually a guard. The reality is that it is still a great skill to act as a cop even when you are one. In the wire for example they found that even fearless funny larger than life cops in real life really sucked on camera (jay landsman for example) and had to be replaced by professional actors.

In relation to the garda "investigation" the whole thing seems silly to me. As far as I am aware the following is true - Acting is not prohibited under the garda code, he took leave to shoot his scenes, he is no longer working undercover and hasn't for some time but is working backoffice,he reported to his superiors what he was doing and they oked it, and he had no input into the script or the technical advice.

This show has been in production for months and months but GS senior management only raise it now??.The whole thing seems very unfair and stressful on the officer and question. It also looks like scuppering what could have been a great PR coup for the Gardai which could have done far more to highlight the efforts some of the more elite units are undertaking (while clearly still being in the realm of fiction -i.e garda working as bouncer etc) than any amount of lame community outreach charity cycles in the local parish mag.

It does seem however that the brass dont like the light been shined on them. I understand that the powers that be in the BPD weren't too happy with the potrayal of that august institution in the wire and made life difficult for some of the cops who appeared in that.I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Comments

purleeeease!!

its not acting if you are just doing what you do normally!!!!

the first few minutes of the episode when he was buying drugs undercover..........seriously?????????
    thats his job for god sake!

whatever about the arguments that he could be giving away 'in secrets' or some 'confidential' information, he clearly was not acting.

if i see him in a completely different role, playing some character that is completley different to a guard or a criminal, then maybe just maybe he could be judged on his acting then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Usual stuff no matter what you do it will be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Usual ****, but it's proper procedure to look into it, just so a precedence can be set.

I think it's great, he's unlikely to give away and confidential information on camera ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And i auditioned for the main role in the 50 Shades of Grey movie and now i don't know if i'll be allowed to film it! Damn brass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

And i auditioned for the main role in the 50 Shades of Grey movie and now i don't know if i'll be allowed to film it! Damn brass...

You filthy bastard, you wanted your turn in cuffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Liamos Dubs

Seems other members of top brass thought it was a good idea to have a Garda in the programme last may

http://www.thestar.ie/star/top-cop-praises-lovehate-but-says-it-ignores-garda-efforts-24496/

It may come in handy at a future disciplinary hearing ......

[quote="Liamos Dubs;8716124seems other members of top brass thought it was a good idea to have a Garda in the programme last may

http://www.thestar.ie/star/top-cop-praises-lovehate-but-says-it-ignores-garda-efforts-24496/

It may come in handy at a future disciplinary hearing ......[/quote]

yea, garda characters, you know, people acting as guards!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Found this outcome via Google...

http://www.rsvpmagazine.ie/clear-lovehate-cop/

Justice for the Love/Hate 1 !!!

da_hambo wrote: »
    Found this outcome via Google...

http://www.rsvpmagazine.ie/clear-lovehate-cop/

Justice for the Love/Hate 1 !!!
    Does that mean they can act in unpopular shows?

Zambia wrote: »
    Does that mean they can act in unpopular shows?

Fair City here i come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

jonsnow wrote:
    ...Acting is not prohibited under the garda code,..

Does that include paid acting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Latest news Garda ban from acting roles in fictional shows and soap operas.

Now if we could get Garda Deegan from Fair City in AGS he would be pounding the streets, best copper in Dublin bar none.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Does that include paid acting?

Can't imagine why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

I know it's the Indo@ing disgraceful :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Handing in his badge and gun? They are watching too much bad US Cop shows.

Nonsense. Absolute bull****e as usual from the indo.

Handing in his badge and gun? They are watching too much bad US Cop shows.

Nonsense. Absolute bull****e as usual from the indo.

Your a loose canon Mahoney, your off the force.

Screw you chief I get results , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

It beggars belief that a married man with kids would act in such a way - surely he should have realised the top brass would be furious with him when they saw him on TV. :rolleyes:

Advertisement