Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing a fan or get a new laptop

Options
  • 16-10-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was after an opinion from more tech savvy souls than I,

Have a HP probook 4515s, 3 years old.
    The fan is constantly running on full, and anything other than a bit of simple browsing causes it to get so hot that it overheats and cuts out, I´ve opened it up and cleaned the fans, tbh, they were not dirty or clogged at all really.

The DVD driver does not work, but I have never had a reason to use it, so not too bothered about that, and the battery wont take a charge, so not bothered about that either as its always in the house.

Im on the fence now about wether it´s worth changing the fan and hoping it fixes, or just getting a new laptop, i´m thinking that its approaching the end of its life soon enough anyway.
    any idea how much it would cost to change a fan ?

if you were going down the new laptop path, any recs in or around the 600-700 mark ? I´ve been looking at the samsung 5 series touch screens, or an asus maybe.

all tips welcome to help me make up my mind-

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you replace the thermal paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Until just now, I'd never heard of thermal paste, so, no.

Is if something you can do yourself ? Or more a job for a repair shop ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Until just now, I'd never heard of thermal paste, so, no.

Is if something you can do yourself ? Or more a job for a repair shop ?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ5ZPHiyvEA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

also try - checking what's running in the background using top / task manager / procexp

changing hardware won't stop crapware hogging the cpu ;)

also make sure laptop is well vented.

get rubber / foam stickies to replace missing feet or give an extra mm or two for better air circulation

some people lie on couches with laptop air vents blocked by snuggie or blanked - use a book / board to give an air path

check in BIOS for cooling / cpu speed options so it isn't running flat out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Thanks, so how do i check or know in bios what is normal and what isnt, the fan just seems to run full pelt all the time, only lowering its pace when I blow into the fans.

for example, right now in task manager, under apps, it shows chrome, and vuze, running at 3%, everything smooth, up to date sophos running and clean scans coming back every time, system maintenence comes back as fine.....

Ventilation isnt an issue, Its always on a table with a few cd covers at the back, so its raised.

Thanks again...

• Advertisement
Advertisement