Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader employing wife.

Options
  • 16-10-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Im thinking of employing my wife in business, I am a sole trader.
    I understand I don't need to pay prsi and she doesn't either and that she is not entitled to any social welfare benefits, but what is the process for doing this?

Do i simply just pay her and claim wages as an expense or do I need to tell somebody somewhere? Does she need to get in touch with revenue/ social welfare or do I just transfer money into her account?
    It will be a small wage, 400 euro a month.

Any help and advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

You need to register as an employer with the Revenue then apply for a cert of tax credit and standard rate cut off for her. Then you have to operate PAYE/USC on her wages. Each month you make a P30 return and pay the amount due to Revenue. At the end of the year you have to make a P35 return.

Advertisement