Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of ports on home router

Options
  • 16-10-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable wireless router with at least 8 LAN ports?

The only one I could find is this one:

Mikrotik Routerbord

Would be nice if it had dual band (2.4ghz + 5Ghz) and could be flashed with OpenWrt. Gigabit ports essential too (well at least 4).

Thanks

PS I know I can add a switch to my current one (a TP Link 1043nd) but would like to avoid that.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Wcool wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable wireless router with at least 8 LAN ports?

The only one I could find is this one:

Mikrotik Routerbord

Would be nice if it had dual band (2.4ghz + 5Ghz) and could be flashed with OpenWrt. Gigabit ports essential too (well at least 4).

Thanks

PS I know I can add a switch to my current one (a TP Link 1043nd) but would like to avoid that.

OpenWRT and DD-WRT are poor when compared to what you can do with RouterOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

That RB2011 has only 5 gigabit, the rest are Ethernet. If you're willing to splash the cash you could make your own, add a case, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz cards and antennas.
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-493g-256mb-9xlan-3xminipci-p-971.html

A lot of work though

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Yes RouterOS is perfectly fine. It's more that I was hoping for something cheaper.

Your suggestion of self-build is I think around 200 euro, but future proof in every way and probably a bit of fun tinkering.
    But I think the pre-made 120 euro Mikrotik will work for, only thing it does not have is dual band. 4 gigabit ports is enough for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Advertisement