Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone golf club.

Options
  • 16-10-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm moving out of Dublin and moving to Roscommon.Im thinking of joining athlone in the new year. Don't know anyone up ther but that doesn't bother me.
    Just wondering what the club and course are like as I haven't got a chance to play it yet.
    Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Hi Stabo,
    I myself are a member in Roscommon but Rickylovesuall willbe along shortly to tell ya about Athlone as he is a member there and i think Charlieirl is too!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Not a member there myself but always love playing there.

Great (tough) course with a real variety of holes. Super club house & locals always very friendly to the visiting player.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

Not a member in Athlone either but have played it several times. It's a decent course, the only course that's nearby that's better is Glasson but Glasson is a fair bit more expensive I think. Athlone is a nice club to visit not sure what it's like to be a member of. Rumour around the midlands is that they (like most other golf clubs) are under financial pressure so they should be glad to welcome new members. If I'm not wrong they got rid of their entry fee a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

We did get rid of our entry fee alright - about 4-5 years ago

Hi Stabo!

Welcome to the area!

Athlone is an excellent parkland course on the shores of lough ree with views of the lake from most of the holes! The course itself is built on a peninsula and is surrounded by the lake on 3 sides. As For Paws said, there's a great variety in the holes.

Course is in great condition at the moment and generally is kept in good condition throughout the winter - people often comment on how smooth our greens are throughout the winter. We never close unless there's frost or snow because we have excellent drainage!

The club house is built on the highest point of the course as well and has windows for walls, so no matter where you are inside, you are looking out on the lake as well.

Members are very friendly - particularly towards new members and we have a strong volunteer program amongst our more senior members on improving the course, meeting new people and generally making Athlone Golf Club a more pleasant place to visit ( not that it wasn't totally amazing anyways! )

The membership fee is around 700 euros, however, for the last couple of years we have done a 1st year incentive rate. This means you can join the club for roughly 50-60% of the normal price. ergo, if you joined this year, you would be joining for less than 500 euros. That's assuming the keep the scheme going. I have been informed that they intend to!

Like a lot of clubs, our financial situation is not the best, but we're not in danger of closing any time soon. we still have loads of full members total ( i dont have figures im afraid, but I will do by the time the AGM comes around in a few weeks time! )

When you get yourself settled down here and if you want to go for a game, shoot me a message on here and I'd be delighted to bring you out for a game - show you around the place :)

Kind Regards

Rikand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Thanks for replies folks, that's great to hear about course. My dad told me it was a tough course but that's a good thing in the long run I think.
    Moving in a couple of weeks so will try get a game in the next month. Might take u up on that offer for round.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

How is the course holding up after all the rain? Is it playable. I'm thinking of joining here next week.

Sadly a number of holes are under water due to the flooding of the River Shannon and course is closed and likely to remain closed for a couple more weeks. The parts of the course that aren't under water however are remarkably dry and would be completely playable if not for the lake bursting it's banks.

When lough ree isn't hitting record levels the course is usually playable all year round and we would absolutely love to have you. You'll be joining a great club with wonderful members on one of the strongest courses in the Midlands.

You won't be disappointed! :D

Also, to add to the essay I posted a few posts up. Athlone was selected as tournament venue for the year for 2015 and in 2016 we'll be hosting the inaugural Connacht strokeplay. Athlone were also Senior Cup champions for 2015 for connacht of which I was team captain!

(Sell sell sell) :)

Just to add to this, course is currently open and has 12 holes in play. Level of the lake has dropped 2 feet already and when it drops another foot in the next couple of days, the full course will open at that point and be fully available to play once again :)

Come on down ABitOfSense!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thanks very much. I'll try get in at the weekend so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement