Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise: Doing It In A Suit and Tie

Options
  • 16-10-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I am hoping to use my road bike for my 5 km commute. In work, I need to wear a business suit. Can anyone advise if it is practical to wear a suit or should I carry it and change in work? There are no showers so if I just cycle easy, could I arrive without being hot and sticky (and a bit whiffy)? Suit works fine in the car but I don't want to be a motorist any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you cycle slow enough you won't sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

RV wrote: »
    I am hoping to use my road bike for my 5 km commute. In work, I need to wear a business suit. Can anyone advise if it is practical to wear a suit or should I carry it and change in work? There are no showers so if I just cycle easy, could I arrive without being hot and sticky (and a bit whiffy)? Suit works fine in the car but I don't want to be a motorist any more.

I used to leave my suits / shoes in work and just bring underwear, socks and shirt / tie with me everyday. I had a sink I could have a quick wash at, but generally a quick spray of deodorant and I'd be fine.

Now where I work I can wear my own cloths, just not lycra!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

From my experience its not practical from a weather perspective as much as sweating. Take this morning, you would need to have a change of clothes either way.

much easier to bring in suits in a backpack\pannier and wear whatever you wear on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

funkyjebus wrote: »
    I used to leave my suits / shoes in work and just bring underwear, socks and shirt / tie with me everyday. I had a sink I could have a quick wash at, but generally a quick spray of deodorant and I'd be fine.

Now where I work I can wear my own cloths, just not lycra!

This, also Baby Wipes if you have no access to water

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Leave the suit in work, or carry it in a backpack to work.
    Keep a small hand towel in work and give yourself a quick splash in the sink in work.
    Have some deo handy too.

Does the trick for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Change of clothing requirements?

You must buy a new bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Most decent suits are made from a fine wool blend. The trousers are unsuitable for cycling in from a wear and tear point of view - the crotch is likely to fray and then tear.

If it's a cheapo suit you should be ok. If not then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thread title is misleading. Sounded like it was suitable for the party bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Are there special pannier bags you can buy that prevent suits from creasing? Do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Don't see why you can't wear the suit on the bike. Or walk (it's only 5km).

LS%20SkinsuitPEEWEE%28Front%29_web.jpg?itok=UcGdAE1L

bistolfo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Haven't tried it but looks good.

http://henty.cc/de/

cyclingbanner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

It's a short commute.

IMHO you should drop in 5 shirts, ties, your shoes and however many suits as you need for the week at the weekend.

Shower at home in the morning, cycle in in a tracksuit, or something waterproof if necessary, at a leisurely pace. Change in work.

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

This is a little less than the commute I have of 7km. Keep two suits in work, you're going to have to dry clean them so find a dry cleaner you can use close to work - you'll never have to bring the suits home again or you can change them by driving in one day in the month. You can also buy extra pants for the suits but I find rotating is ok most of the time. On a day-to-day basis then its just fresh shirts/ties, jocks and socks.

I don't have a shower in work so I take it easy into work and work harder on the way home. In work I use baby-wipes and deodorant and also have some aftershave/cologne in the top drawer. Helmet hair means bad hair days sometimes and can be a problem but for me its a good indication when to get it cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Thanks everyone.
    To summarise: leave clothes in work with wipes, towel and deo in the pocket. If riding, suit should be preferably crotchless. Don't wear a helmet because it messes with your hair (topless and crotchless?). But start by buying a new slower bike.
    Gotcha!

Advertisement