Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of upgrading....NOOOOOO!

Options
  • 16-10-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Sorry all, you're probably sick of repeated questions like this but here goes anyway. Having toyed with the idea of going 'electric' (again..sorry) I'm really enjoying a 5 day commute on my trusty Claude Butler Levante flat bar road bike (cost circa €500 about 5yrs ago) and was wondering if I availed of the C2W scheme what sort of improvement in bike and performance could I expect for somewhere near the €1000 price mark. It's taking me roughly about 45-55 mins to do a 16km commute from Rathfarnham to Santry. I'm not an expert (as my wife keeps reminding me) on the different gearing options and technical components other than what I read here so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Have just the standard pedals so are clips with proper cycling shoes much of an advantage?
    Have I caught the bug everybody talks about on here???

Cheers
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, shoes and clipless pedals make a big difference in terms of enjoyment and ease of control.

I commute in absurdly expensive Specialized S-Works MTB shoes. They're as stiff as a road shoe but walkable. The stiffness means I can use various dirt cheap SPD pedals and bin them when they wear out.

A new bike won't make much difference to speed, so unless you want to take it up a notch by getting a drop bar road bike (useful for group cycling and safer when filtering through traffic) I'd stick with what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

What..? don't change my bike..? I'll get me coat...

Anyone care to chime in on this?

Thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

my advice is to pick up a 2nd hand sepcialized/trek or something of that nature for around 400 and sell the one you have. you'll be in a better position to use the grand wisely when you have some sense of what might and might not be issues you vcare about in a roadbike

ps. you dont need to worry about clips unless youre doing hills on long rides imo. for commuting just use regularunless you really want to try them. a reasonably well made bike should see you knocking a good ten minutes offa that commute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

slap/dash wrote: »
    ps. you dont need to worry about clips unless youre doing hills on long rides imo. for commuting just use regularunless you really want to try them. a reasonably well made bike should see you knocking a good ten minutes offa that commute

I have to say I feel much safer clipped in. No pedal slip and way more power response when you need to spurt past some petrol guzzling mongoloid.

I have to say I feel much safer clipped in. No pedal slip and way more power response when you need to spurt past some petrol guzzling mongoloid.

true dat. but they take a bit of practice. i use flat mks gr9's with straps around town and spd's when on the dedicated roadbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

FWIW it takes me 45-50 mins on my road bike to commute into the city and only about five minutes longer on my mountain bike. My commute consists of about 16km with pretty much no traffic and then 5km in the city. I don't really see any difference in time between the two bikes when I'm in the city - I do prefer cycling the road bike.

It's worth thinking about what you may wish to do on a new bike that you can't do on your existing trusty steed. Unless you're thinking of going on longer rides or heading up hills, you may be as well off sticking with what you have.

'hope that helps

NMG

Well, now that I'm commuting 5 days a week I'm thinking that the drop bars will help in a headwind, slightly smoother gear changes to aid speed and anything that will make the cycle a little easier including losing a few more lbs!
    Using the bike mainly for commuting but would like to maybe do a bit extra on the weekends.

Went to a LBS where I work and tried out a Giant Defy 2 (€999) & 3 (€849) and a Trek 1.5 (€1089) all felt nice to cycle, light and responsive. Not really well up on the spec but are they a good buy at those prices or is there better out there for similar money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

How are you going to get your 'stuff' into work? Do you need to bring a shirt, jocks, socks, laptop etc? A nice road bike is lovely, but I commute as often on my frankenbike because I have stuff to carry. Slightly wider tyres on the commuter also help with the crap roads, but then my commute is only 7.5km. I might be more tempted to use the road bike on a longer commute.

I agree with the previous post about clipless pedals for commuting. It's way safer to be firmly attached to your pedals on rough roads. I would have a preference for SPDs though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jabel wrote: »
    Went to a LBS where I work and tried out a Giant Defy 2 (€999) & 3 (€849) and a Trek 1.5 (€1089) all felt nice to cycle, light and responsive. Not really well up on the spec but are they a good buy at those prices or is there better out there for similar money?

The defy and trek 1.5 are basically the same bike, or so similar it doesn't really matter which you choose. Get the cheaper one.

Do you have to buy in a shop or can you use your BTW online?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

My boss doesn't really do 'online' so it will probably be a LBS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Just one thing to ask. Where do you plan on leaving your nice shiney new scumbag attracting bike. If you take a read through the stolen bikes section Dublin is pretty much a no go for any nice bike. Unless it doubles as a desk and you can sit on it all day.

You'll definitely notice a big difference on a decent road bike a lot of it maybe but just feel alone but you should knock the mins off your commute in no time.

Sure do you ever really need an excuse to buy a new steed? It's never a matter of if more a matter of when. :-)

Bike will be kept indoor at work, safe as houses! in fact I don't even bring a lock with me.
    Had another look in a couple of shops yesterday on my way home through Dublin, both were pushing their 'own' brands such as Kellys and Fuji so not very objective there.
    Saw the 2014 Cube Peleton Pro, a mighty fine looking bike for €1099 in Fitzcycles.
    Good value?
    cube-peloton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Fuji is worth a look. Not so well known her but good specs from what I have read

God, this is exhausting work researching bikes!
    Just came across this fro Cycle Surgery in Dundrum
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-peloton-race-compact-2013/road-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/46862?listing=true

Any reason not to jump at this? they have my size in stock
    €954

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Have you considered a single speed/ fixie, OP? Much cheaper and less maintenance than a road bike - ideal for commuting. You would get a very good one for 1000.

Not for me, they the funny looking things with the tiny bars??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-peloton-race-compact-2013/road-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/46862?listing=true

€954

Recent thread here about that CUBE.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86856855

€954 seems an excellent price so go for it.

• Advertisement

Not for me, they the funny looking things with the tiny bars??:D

Well yeah if you like.:) . They also come with drop bars - 'track bikes '

fuji-track-pro-1.png

Loverly, one gear and no pedals...

No new bike comes with pedals, including the Cube. They also come with a front brake.

The bare minimum.

Sure i know that just having a laugh.
    Next you'll be telling me I need special clothes and shoes....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Yer spending nearly 10 hours a week on the bike and are thinking of
    adding to that for weekend use too. Deffo go buy yourself a decent bike.
    Especially since you have the safe parking in work. Your already saving loadsa dosh
    not running a car so splash on a roadbike, gears, alloy frame & carbon fork,
    spd pedals, widest workable puncture proof tyres and as for brand whichever pretty
    colours catches your eye.
    IMHO

€954

Well, I rang to arrange to see this bike on Saturday but when I got there (through horrendous traffic) they said they 'couldn't find it'...??
    Very disappointed to say the least. I have a question though, I tried a 56 for size, normally too big for me but was almost ok and then tried a different Cube 53 which looked and seemed quite small. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well, I rang to arrange to see this bike on Saturday but when I got there (through horrendous traffic) they said they 'couldn't find it'...??
    Very disappointed to say the least. I have a question though, I tried a 56 for size, normally too big for me but was almost ok and then tried a different Cube 53 which looked and seemed quite small. Is this normal?

What height are you? 56cm frames generally suit 5'10" - 6' people but some manufacturers size their bikes differently (cube being one of those)

CJC999 wrote: »
    What height are you? 56cm frames generally suit 5'10" - 6' people but some manufacturers size their bikes differently (cube being one of those)

5'8" and getting shorter every year!
    The good news is I put my deposit down on the Cube peleton race (105 group set) today and measured up pretty well on the 53cm. Will have it next week and can't wait. Going for the newbie click'r shimano pedals. Will post photos when I get her home.
    J

Advertisement