Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Troubles... Any help out there?

• 16-10-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all,

I'm a full-time registered student in GTI (Galway Technical Institute), and I'm doing a FETAC Level 5 course in Electronics.

I was getting the Jobseeker's Allowance while waiting for my Back To Education Allowance request to come back. I got a call this morning saying that because I did a FETAC Level 5 course in 2009 while getting a payment from VTOS, that I don't qualify for BTEA, and now my Jobseeker's Allowance is being discontinued too.

I contacted loads of places, The Department Of Social Welfare, Education & Training Board, and SUSI, as well as emailing Joan Burton, the Minister For Social Protection. I've yet to hear back from SUSI and Joan but I don't think the replies will be all that good.

Is there anybody else who was in the same situation as myself? Anybody have any ideas on what I can do?

Anybody who helps me will receive a free pint from me, as long as they come here :)

Cheers lads and lassies, ye're too sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If you've done a level 5 before you're not entitled to anything and probably rightly so. Why not do a level 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seanmaxwell99

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm gonna go into GTI today and ask if I can somehow arrange to move up to a Level 6 course in the same subject, but I doubt that it's possible, especially now that it's a month and a half since all courses started.

I'll look into it though, cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭smallgarden

With btea you have to be achieving an NFQ level higher than you have already so you'd need to be doing a level 6 or above course. You could look into part time courses like springboard courses as they offer a part time education option which allows you to keep your job seekers allowance once you're still available for work. Most of the courses this year have started but there are still some available or it could be an option for next year. Some also start mid year

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seanmaxwell99

Yeah, I think that I might have to pick up a part-time course if I can, although there doesn't seem to be many options for such around the area :/

Advertisement