Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise needed regarding Billion 7800DXL

Options
  • 16-10-2013 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased Billion 7800dxl modem/router last week and it arrived today. I purchased this to replace my old Netgear DGN1000 as I have recently got eFibre in. I want to just use the Billion as modom/router.

I quickly realised that the Billion does not support vdsl for Fibre on it's own. I would need a modem that supports vdsl!!

I have 2 options,

1. Send it back to Amazon and get a refund. If I do this, can you suggest what modem/router I could get that supports vdsl?

2. I can keep Billion and connect this to my Netgear. The only problem is it only has ethernet ports and I have the house wired for CAT 6. Could you suggest a decent modem/router to connect to billion that has Fastethernet or Gigabit ethernet ports.

If I was to choose option 2 and use Billion modem/router with a vdsl enabled router, how do I make the billion the main modom router?

See attached pic of billion from behind.

They way I think it would and should connect is,

dsl line to eircom F1000 router/modem -> CAT cable from F1000 GB port to Billion EWAN port. ???

Is that correct, if so. How do I make the Billion the default router (as in, router handles all traffic, the F1000 is just a link to DSL.

Link to spec of Billion 7800DXL
    http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/7800dxl.htm

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Return the Billion for a refund. Keep the F1000 as it is difficult to know in advance what third-party VDSL modems are going to be compatible with the eircom network, and indeed what ones will continue to be compatible if/when Eircom introduce vectoring. Third party modems are expensive anyway.

If you dont need wireless, you could plug your cat6 directly into the F1000 - im fairly sure it has gigabit ethernet - practically every new ethernet device has gigabit ethenet.

If you want wireless, get one of these for best possible wireless:
    Netgear R7000 or Asus RT-AC68U (both to be release very soon)
    And if they arent released in time, go for the Asus RT-AC66U instead. Of course, to get the most of of these, you need 802.11ac on your devices too. If your house is cat6 wired, that is always going to perform much better than 802.11ac

Anyway, they go in between the F1000 and your network, have gigabit ethernet etc. Consider bridging the F1000 - Eircom are releasing firmware shortly to fix issues with bridging the F1000 - search for other threads here on the F1000 for how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

mcbert wrote: »
    Return the Billion for a refund. Keep the F1000 as it is difficult to know in advance what third-party VDSL modems are going to be compatible with the eircom network, and indeed what ones will continue to be compatible if/when Eircom introduce vectoring. Third party modems are expensive anyway.

If you dont need wireless, you could plug your cat6 directly into the F1000 - im fairly sure it has gigabit ethernet - practically every new ethernet device has gigabit ethenet.

If you want wireless, get one of these for best possible wireless:
    Netgear R7000 or Asus RT-AC68U (both to be release very soon)
    And if they arent released in time, go for the Asus RT-AC66U instead. Of course, to get the most of of these, you need 802.11ac on your devices too. If your house is cat6 wired, that is always going to perform much better than 802.11ac

Anyway, they go in between the F1000 and your network, have gigabit ethernet etc. Consider bridging the F1000 - Eircom are releasing firmware shortly to fix issues with bridging the F1000 - search for other threads here on the F1000 for how to do that.

Thanks mcbert for the reply.

Yeah I think I will just send it back to be safe. Will stick with the F1000 for now and see what comes out in the future.

Will have a look at those routers you mentioned.

Actually, while I have you. Could you recommend a decent/mid-high end modom/router to work on eircom NGN? It's for a friend of mine.

Thanks again,

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Sorry, not familiar enough with the hardware you need to recommend anything, I'm afraid.

Advertisement