Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whooping cough vaccine opinions?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

not sure if i am allowed to post this but i am not seeking medical advice.

I was at the doc today and told the recommendation is for all pregnant women between 27 and 36 weeks to get the whooping cough vaccine. she gave me a leaflet which i have to read and make my own decision about. the reason is to protect me and then also protect baby for first 6 weeks after birth. this is the first time this vaccine is being given to pregnant women. I didnt hear anything about this until today.

just wondering what other people think or has anyone actually gotten it yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have gotten the pertussis vaccine (even though I had whooping cough as a child so was probably ok) and got it for the baby in 2011. I paid for it at the time, we knew a few children were hospitalised with it that year so wanted to do what I could to avoid.

We have close friends with immunosuppressed kids. I would never want to infect them with anything so we all get uber-vaccinated just in case.

I'm delighted it's covered now, it was a trip to the GP plus the cost of a vaccine before.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

pwurple wrote: »
    I have gotten the pertussis vaccine (even though I had whooping cough as a child so was probably ok) and got it for the baby in 2011. I paid for it at the time, we knew a few children were hospitalised with it that year so wanted to do what I could to avoid.

We have close friends with immunosuppressed kids. I would never want to infect them with anything so we all get uber-vaccinated just in case.

I'm delighted it's covered now, it was a trip to the GP plus the cost of a vaccine before.

thats good to know.
    were you pregnant when you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hi red fraggle

I got it at 28 weeks pregnant and now have a healthy 6 month old.
    I decided to get it because I've seen first hand the devestation whooping cough can cause. However I fully understand why women would be wary of getting it as its a new recommendation (not a new vaccine) and obviously studies can't be done on pregnant women. All that can be done is to look at women who were vaccinated retrospectively and try to see if there were any effects.

It is worth noting that even though the HSE are recommending it, they are not covering the cost of it (as far as I know)

It's really an individual decision for each woman.
    Good luck

thats good to know.
    were you pregnant when you got it?

No, it was about 6 weeks afterwards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have had whooping cough 3 times so personally there is no chance of me getting it but talk to your phn and pharmacist and see what they suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It was recommended when I was pregnant last year. I spoke to my gp and he was against the vaccination as he said it was untested.

I personally didn't get it as I felt conflicted about it. When you're pregnant there are so many medicines, even over the counter ones, that you can't take because they're untested yet an untested vaccination is recommended.

Personally I think the hse should be recommending that all women considering getting pregnant get the vaccine.

It's a personal decision so there's no right or wrong thing to do. You should do what you feel comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It was recommended when I was pregnant last year. I spoke to my gp and he was against the vaccination as he said it was untested.

I personally didn't get it as I felt conflicted about it. When you're pregnant there are so many medicines, even over the counter ones, that you can't take because they're untested yet an untested vaccination is recommended.

Personally I think the hse should be recommending that all women considering getting pregnant get the vaccine.

It's a personal decision so there's no right or wrong thing to do. You should do what you feel comfortable with.
    I think what's pushing this is the big whooping cough outbreak in the states, and the fact that it's affecting (and has killed) babies who are under the vaccination age.

There was also an outbreak in Ireland and uk last year. The numbers affected were small but unfortunately some babies died.

I was due in late April which was considered outside the season for whooping cough so that was a factor for me too. I'm not sure how I'd have felt having a winter baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I have nothing really to add but I had Whooping cough for 6 months as a baby.

I was in hospital every few weeks for lung X rays. Always wondered how my mother coped with a sick child for 6 months who was in bits.

When I have kids in the future i will make sure they don't get it so I think Vaccination is important

No vaccine is released to the public without going through thorough testing and approval from the irish medical board... Maybe he meant untested in a pregnancy-only trial or something?

• Advertisement

Pwurple, as far as I'm aware pregnant women are never included in trials for medicines or vaccines. That's what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

I also was told by my GP that the vaccine wasn't tasted on pregnant women before. I didn't take flu vaccine either. I'm healthy, I have healthy llifestyle and after reaserch I decided not to.
    The best way to approach it is to ask for all the info about vaccine, read the leaflet and make a decision which is bigger risk.
    Good luck :)

Ah that makes sense. Yes, nothing is ever tested on pregnant women. That would be totally unethical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I got it a few months ago, had absolutely no ill effects on me. Had my baby on Sat. He's perfect. I put a lot of thought in to it before consenting. Could find no record of the vaccination causing harm but plenty to support the damage whopping cough has been doing to newborns in Ireland and the UK in the last year - just google it and see all the newspaper reports. Doc didn't try to influence my decision - just gave me the official vaccination websites for IE, UK and US and told me do my research but to be wary of random websites. When I attended for the shot, he said it was a wise decision because he's seen a good few cases in Cork. You'll probably only read about the deaths in the paper but just even having a small baby sick for a while would be a nightmare. If you are having a winter baby, think of all the visitors touching it, and who knows what illnesses they are carrying. Madness to think vaccinations haven't helped society, or who's for a bout of Polio?

thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate hearing all the different views as i had heard nothing from anyone before now. hate making these decisions. its hard enough for yourself but when its your baby its a hole different ball game. i think im 70 30 on my decision but gona give it til over the weekend to read a bit more and decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Sitting in the doctors waiting room for my ante natal visit, she asked me last time did I want the whooping cough vaccine.. Never thought about it til now again.. But just wondered since the last post here has anyone opted for this vaccination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

MissFire wrote: »
    Sitting in the doctors waiting room for my ante natal visit, she asked me last time did I want the whooping cough vaccine.. Never thought about it til now again.. But just wondered since the last post here has anyone opted for this vaccination?

I'm getting mine done at 29 weeks. The vaccine is safe, whooping cough can kill babies. It's a very straightforward decision in my mind.

For a list of side effects of the TDaP vaccine you can see here (CDC info sheet).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My doctor is recommending it. I had whooping cough as a child, so was wondering if i was still immune and whether i need to get it again.

she went off and done some research, she came saying that yes, i should get it that the antibodies only last 3-20 years.

it has also come to light, the vaccination only last 20-25 years, which is why there have a been a large number of outbreaks in the last few years.

John Mason wrote: »
    My doctor is recommending it. I had whooping cough as a child, so was wondering if i was still immune and whether i need to get it again.

she went off and done some research, she came saying that yes, i should get it that the antibodies only last 3-20 years.

it has also come to light, the vaccination only last 20-25 years, which is why there have a been a large number of outbreaks in the last few years.

I think partially why I'm swaying toward it is cause I have a really bad chest myself at moment and the thoughts of my tiny little baby having something like this frightens me a bit.. I'm 31 weeks today so I'm at the right time for it..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

MissFire wrote: »
    I think partially why I'm swaying toward it is cause I have a really bad chest myself at moment and the thoughts of my tiny little baby having something like this frightens me a bit.. I'm 31 weeks today so I'm at the right time for it..

it is a hard decision to make. she is adamant there is no risk, that it has been given to pregnant women for years in the US, it was only in Europe where is hasnt been standard as the majority of people were vaccinated as children.

i suppose the only thing you can do is research it and make the best decision for you.

i got the flu injection, because i had the flu once and it was horrendous, i couldnt imagine dealing with it without any drugs.

it was bad enough dealing with the head cold i got at 30 weeks without drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I got it when pregnant this time. It wasnt mentioned to me during my first pregnancy.
    I now have a perfectly healthy 3 day old napping beside me.

I got the vaccination in the end. My son is over 4 months now and flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Here in the UK it is recommended as standard and all pregnant Mums are advised to have it. I'll be having mine when I'm a little further along, definitely worth thinking about it as it protects bubba from something potentially life threatening.

FYI the flu vaccine is standard here as well for all women who are pregnant or proposing to become pregnant in any twelve month period from around October on so I availed of this too.

I know it's scary to think of having a vaccine when one's instinct goes against being injected with anything but not being protected is so much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got it on my second pregnancy. No ill effects bar a sore arm and the peace of mind was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Anyone know how much it costs? Do I have to pay the doctor fee and the vaccination charge? Don't want to get ripped off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I asked my GP about it and she said there was no need at the moment as there are no major breakouts. Would have no hesitation if it was recommended or advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Like a lot of the previous posters, my doctor told me about it when I was in the very early stages of pregnancy, but said it was totally my decision. I decided to get it at 27 weeks. I figured the risks of the vaccine were tiny compared to the risk of whooping cough. I actually wasn't charged for it, although I think this was a mistake, as I was charged for the flu vaccine I had before Christmas.

I asked could I have it this morning after and turned out doctor couldn't give it to me, so I'll get it in the hospital at next visit in three weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it costs? Do I have to pay the doctor fee and the vaccination charge? Don't want to get ripped off :D

I paid €30 for mine alongside the flu shot which was free for pregnant women.

• Advertisement
Advertisement