Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Streetka convertible, new rear window won't zip up

Options
  • 15-10-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have a ford streetka convertible.
    The rear plastic window recently snapped. I purchased a new window from ebay. I got the old window out with no hassle but I am having absolutely no luck getting the new window in :mad:
    The window itself is on a zip (sounds easy right?!) , every time I get to a certain point the zipper either comes off or wont go around a corner, no matter how much WD40 is used!!
    Can anybody help? Ive tried googling body shops but I cannot locate any shops. I am based in Tipperary but willing to travel to get this sorted!

Any help would be hugely appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Hi, I have a ford streetka convertible.
    The rear plastic window recently snapped. I purchased a new window from ebay. I got the old window out with no hassle but I am having absolutely no luck getting the new window in :mad:
    The window itself is on a zip (sounds easy right?!) , every time I get to a certain point the zipper either comes off or wont go around a corner, no matter how much WD40 is used!!
    Can anybody help? Ive tried googling body shops but I cannot locate any shops. I am based in Tipperary but willing to travel to get this sorted!

Any help would be hugely appreciated :)

In my experience the best lubricant for zips is graphite. I would try cleaning all of the WD40 off and then scribble the length of the zip with a pencil (that is if you don't have graphite powder). Then pull the zip while pulling the fabric so there is as little strain as possible on the zip. Hope this helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I would go right back to the start off the zip, and make sure it's 100% level even force it down as far as it will go, then begin to zip it up slowly... sounds obvious I know... Also silicone spray would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aineekennedy

Thanks for the tips guys, tried them all and just ended up taking it to a body shop. Turns out the "standard" ford ka convertible window I bought on ebay was too small!! He had to make a whole new window-luckily he was absolutely brilliant at his job and the best bit-cheap!!

His shop is At&T autos in castlecomer, Kilkenny. Would highly recommend to anybody. He had a stretch limo in the garage which he had completely gutted and started from scratch-it was absolutely amazing!!

So for big jobs or small jobs I would definitely return to him again :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Thanks for the tips guys, tried them all and just ended up taking it to a body shop. Turns out the "standard" ford ka convertible window I bought on ebay was too small!! He had to make a whole new window-luckily he was absolutely brilliant at his job and the best bit-cheap!!

His shop is At&T autos in castlecomer, Kilkenny. Would highly recommend to anybody. He had a stretch limo in the garage which he had completely gutted and started from scratch-it was absolutely amazing!!

So for big jobs or small jobs I would definitely return to him again :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for reporting back :)

Advertisement