Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

join the army or go to college ?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 6:15pm

I really need some advice, I'm really interested in joining the army but i dont know if i should go to college first! what should i do ?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

If you're wanting a general enlistment, just go for that straight. If you want a cadetship, better off going to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

If you are young I'd definitely recommend going to college first if you go down the general service route. Always good to have something fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

If college is a genuine option, there is no circumstance under which I would recommend going straight into the army. Look after your education first. The Army will still be there when you're finished college if its something you still want. and with a degree you will have far more options in the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

John_D80 wrote: »
    If college is a genuine option, there is no circumstance under which I would recommend going straight into the army. Look after your education first. The Army will still be there when you're finished college if its something you still want. and with a degree you will have far more options in the Defence Forces.

That's the one there.

Thanks for all the advice lads it's really helpful

• Advertisement

ruserious wrote: »
    If you're wanting a general enlistment, just go for that straight. If you want a cadetship, better off going to college.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but with cadetships do you just need any level 8 degree? or does it help to have it in a certain field?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Any ole level 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It's great having a degree in the army. Every time you get something wrong, you can endure endless "all the intelligence but none of the common sense" banter(!)

Joking, you'd be mad to go straight in. Having a degree opens a fair few doors once you're in, long and short term. You'll never be trapped in the job - I've seen guys who have nothing to their name outside of the army, who get picked on for all the **** jobs. And the people giving them the **** jobs can get away with it, cause they know Johnny Nojuniorcert isn't gonna hand in his notice until his 22 years are up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you've already for a decent leaving cert, and a good head on your shoulders you have a few options.

You can enlist as an enlisted man/woman and use your leaving cert to enter a technician scheme, you can do this from any line unit ~ on completion you'll qualify for technicans pay (varying levels, but all paying very well).. You can follow your degree in this area where the DF will give you lots of study time, and reimburst some of your fee's.

Corp units (which you'll be in after your qualify) strongly encourage personnel to follow this route and help you along the way.

Or you can go straight into college, then try the cadets afterwards (or enlisted) and build on your degree then.

But if you apply for the DF and get offered a place you'd have to be mad to refuse your place.

More on the Technicians Scheme taken from military.ie

the coarse i want to do is a 5 year coarse so by the time ill be finished ill be 23. the cut off age is 24 isnt it ?

• Advertisement

the coarse i want to do is a 5 year coarse so by the time ill be finished ill be 23. the cut off age is 24 isnt it ?

Yes, you'd be cutting it very fine.

Try talk to someone in a corp unit about the benefits of the technicians scheme, tech pay, study leave etc... Lots of people still attain their degrees whilst serving, just one example ~ I'm serving with two privates who both have law degrees, one has taken a year leave of absence to work in his field in New York.

Whilst serving soldiers crib and cry about their service the DF offer's a person with motivation to be whatever he/she wants to be.

Best of luck.

the only college coarse im remotely interested in is architecture and i dont see how having a degree in this would help me in the DF in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thetoffeeman

For job security, go for the army lad. if you can do well and get up the ladder, you will find you can get a college place through the army, obviously not as many options.

ya job security is a major thing, especially cause i want to architecture

the only college coarse im remotely interested in is architecture and i dont see how having a degree in this would help me in the DF in any way

Engineers have architects.

You could consider doing another engineering degree, try the direct entry route (you'll be commissioned as an officer) then study architecture when you're in ~ but tbh thats a very long shot as competition to get in is fierce.

Check out ww.military.ie for careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thetoffeeman

dont know about architecture. i got a emerency medical tech diploma from ucd in 2005 thru the df. you can get them in sports therapy and many other things. Prob not architecture

what are the odds of getting accepted into the df in the first place ?

As a regular soldier, as an officer, or as a Direct Entrant (for professions such as engineers, lawyers, architects)?

Get the damn degree, join as a soldier, see where life takes you.

discus wrote: »
    As a regular soldier, as an officer, or as a Direct Entrant (for professions such as engineers, lawyers, architects)?

Get the damn degree, join as a soldier, see where life takes you.

as a regular soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

But if you apply for the DF and get offered a place you'd have to be mad to refuse your place.

The above is far and away the most important thing said so far.

With recruitment and the state of the rest of the economy being what it is, the defence forces is one of the most hotly contested jobs in the state. One of my biggest regrets is being talked down from the general service competition last time it was run (and the last time I'll have been eligible) and only applying for the cadetship. If I could have that time again, I'd do it a thousand times over. If the DF is what you want, start applying now and worry about the college stuff then. Now, it's not for everyone, so make sure it's what you really want, but if it is, do not miss any opportunity. The next few years go by a lot faster than you'd ever believe, and I don't expect the ones after that will be slow either. Get on top of things now.

Sincerely, a 24 year old graduate who won't get another crack at enlisted service and is faster than he'd like running out of chances at the cadet competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 eire_sai

Its a no brainer. College and then Cadet. Do you want to be an NCO or a General in 40 years???

The above is far and away the most important thing said so far.

With recruitment and the state of the rest of the economy being what it is, the defence forces is one of the most hotly contested jobs in the state. One of my biggest regrets is being talked down from the general service competition last time it was run (and the last time I'll have been eligible) and only applying for the cadetship. If I could have that time again, I'd do it a thousand times over. If the DF is what you want, start applying now and worry about the college stuff then. Now, it's not for everyone, so make sure it's what you really want, but if it is, do not miss any opportunity. The next few years go by a lot faster than you'd ever believe, and I don't expect the ones after that will be slow either. Get on top of things now.

Sincerely, a 24 year old graduate who won't get another crack at enlisted service and is faster than he'd like running out of chances at the cadet competition.

im doing my leaving cert this year and i know there is recruitment in January. when would i want to apply to be recruited after my leaving cert.

as a regular soldier

As good as anyones chances. Why would you go into a competition if you didn't intend on winning? Seriously mate, get some sort of experience in after school. Take a loan and travel the world, get a degree, a trade, live abroad and learn a language. You could end up married and mortgaged by the time your 5 years are up, and your chances of doing these things will be massively restricted!

Advertisement