Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about scans when going Public

Options
  • 15-10-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I'm having my 3rd baby and it's been just under 3 years since I've had my 2nd. I'm going Public again and I recently went for my 12 week scan at the hospital and I was told that they don't scan for the sex of the baby, or for any early detection of foetal abnormalities such as Down syndrome or spina bifida. They are telling me that I need to get such a scan done privately, which I've learned will cost €200. I'm pretty sure that I was given this type of scan 3 years ago at no cost.

Has something changed in the last 3 years where this type of scan is no longer given when going Public?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Maybe it depends on the hospital you're with? I got a 20 week anomaly scan in the rotunda anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends on the hospital, and things change over time too. I got that scan on public in 2010, but I was told it's 'luck of the draw' this time. I've a 20 week appt tomorrow in the hospital. If the person seeing me is qualified/able to do it, then I get the scan... otherwise I don't. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Down Syndrome check is extra but Spina Bifida should be able to be spotted at a normal anomaly scan. Will you get a scan further along in the pregnancy or will the dating scan be the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

DerryRed wrote: »
    I'm having my 3rd baby and it's been just under 3 years since I've had my 2nd. I'm going Public again and I recently went for my 12 week scan at the hospital and I was told that they don't scan for the sex of the baby, or for any early detection of foetal abnormalities such as Down syndrome or spina bifida. They are telling me that I need to get such a scan done privately, which I've learned will cost €200. I'm pretty sure that I was given this type of scan 3 years ago at no cost.

Has something changed in the last 3 years where this type of scan is no longer given when going Public?

I get mini scans at every visit and got an anomaly scan at 21 weeks public. We paid privately ourselves at 12 weeks to have a scan and nuchal fold measurement done (we didn't get bloods done as measurement was so small). We paid €95 but with the bloods I think it's around €250. The private scan quality was amazing so clear and on a big flat screen tv for us to watch it on! They told us the gender at anomaly scan and also at next consultant appointment (mini scan). I am very happy with the public system (so far), couldn't fault holles street. :)

Advertisement