Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader - Accountant needed

Options
  • 15-10-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

It's my first year as a sole trader (registered from October/November 2012 and a student before that) and its coming to the time to submit my pay and file/tax returns. I freelance from home doing video editing/design/web and I have kept all my receipts and invoices but i'm beginning to find the whole thing very confusing! Even as to whether I fill in a form hard copy or is the whole thing done online? Do I send copies of receipts and invoices? Lost!!!!

Can anyone recommend an accountant who can guide me though tax deductions (phone? rent? electric?) and help me fill in needed forms (How much should I expect to pay the accountant also?)

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

you registered this october or october/novemeber 2012?

if you only registered this month you dont have to file a return until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 artisanobscure

Hi there Flynnlives,

Thanks for your speedy reply!
    Pretty sure it was the beginning of November (2012) What does that mean exactly, do I have to fill in anything then?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Hi there Flynnlives,

Thanks for your speedy reply:-)
    Pretty sure it was the beginning of November. What does that mean exactly, do I have to fill in anything then?

if its November 2012 then yes you are liable for the tax between Novemeber and December 2012.

However since its your startup year i think you can lump those two months into this year.

You still might have to make a declaration for 2012, a t11 form, im not sure. Hopefully someone will come along soon and clarify this.

I would ring or call into your tax office and tell them the story. And then maybe call your local Accountant. Shop around and research an accountant as well. Dont be tempted to go with the first one you ring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 artisanobscure

Hi Flynnlives,

If I am paying preliminary tax, does USC etc apply? etc. You are right about shopping around for an accountant, hopefully someone can advise on here with a good recommendation that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount. I think half an hour with an accountant will help me no end as it's very confusing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beingbrian

Hey man, did you have any luck getting anywhere with your tax etc. I'm in the exact same situation as you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ramacc

If you started in October then you will be taxed from 1 October to 31 December 2013 no tax due until next year 2014 and no preliminary tax as first year of trading.

Advertisement