Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saddle hight

Options
  • 14-10-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

how would i no if the height of my saddle is right for me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alternatively, see if your local bike shop provides a bike fitting service. The place that you bought it from should be able to set you up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 native lane

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Alternatively, see if your local bike shop provides a bike fitting service. The place that you bought it from should be able to set you up properly.

thanks for the link mate..

when i ordered the bike and picked it up he said to me do the saddle height look right,,sure i didnt no..
    anyway i do 2 spins on it and tought it was bit low so i put it up a inch..
    i must go back to him see what he thinks..
    ill read the link first thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

when i ordered the bike and picked it up he said to me do the saddle height look right,,sure i didnt no..

I wouldn't waste my time. It sounds like he hasn't a clue otherwise he would have been able to set the height for you first time around.

There are plenty of online instructions and guides on setting up the bike for yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In my experience there's no substitute for getting a bike fit done by someone who knows what they're doing.

You can set it up yourself according to some online guide or another but you could be way off.

I've helped a couple of mates with bike fits after they tried setting it up themselves. The small tweeks make a big difference.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

An inch is a pretty big adjustment. Perhaps a quarter inch at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Brian? wrote: »
    In my experience there's no substitute for getting a bike fit done by someone who knows what they're doing.

You can set it up yourself according to some online guide or another but you could be way off.

I've helped a couple of mates with bike fits after they tried setting it up themselves. The small tweeks make a big difference.

Every rider should be able to sort their own bike set up... theres enough information out there in many forms. Theres very little chance of being WAY OFF, its perfectly normal to be slightly off in the first fit and tweak the set up over the next few cycling sessions according to how it feels.. there may be a need for asstance by a very small percentage of people but the majority of people should be able to get it right themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Following the old rules of thumb of an almost straight leg on the bottom of the pedal stroke and knee over pedal spindle (or nose of saddle ~2.5 inches behind bb spindle but saddles varies - works with Brooks types in my experience) should get close enough to begin with.

A tip to find knee over pedal spindle if you've got no-one handy to help you is to use a plumbline and mark the centre of the pedal spindle on the top tube with a piece of chalk. Then use the chalk mark as a guide when you're sitting on the bike.

Then ride the bike carrying the relevant allen key or spanner to make adjustments and fine tune after a few miles. You should start to sense if you are too high/low. Never make a major change, perhaps a 1/4" at a time and ride for a few more miles to see how that feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Its just feel. If you can't reach the pedals its too high. If your knees hit your chin its too low.
    Seriously, just guess the correct height, take the bike out for a short spin, and adjust up or down until you get comfortable.

Every rider should be able to sort their own bike set up... theres enough information out there in many forms. Theres very little chance of being WAY OFF, its perfectly normal to be slightly off in the first fit and tweak the set up over the next few cycling sessions according to how it feels.. there may be a need for asstance by a very small percentage of people but the majority of people should be able to get it right themselves.

I disagree.

There are too many measurements that require a 2nd person to do right for a start.

It makes no sense to struggle with something so important.

Even pros have people to constantly check their fit.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

how would i no if the height of my saddle is right for me??

if you are in town I will do it for you if you donate a €10 to LPB's charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Brian? wrote: »
    I disagree.

There are too many measurements that require a 2nd person to do right for a start.

It makes no sense to struggle with something so important.

Even pros have people to constantly check their fit.

Brian
    Your perfectly entitled t o disagree but what i wrote is correct, you may have a point that another person helping for some aspects of the fit, buut they dont have to be any kind of an expert to assist.

Brian
    Your perfectly entitled t o disagree but what i wrote is correct, you may have a point that another person helping for some aspects of the fit, buut they dont have to be any kind of an expert to assist.

True, they don't need to be an expert. As I said, I've helped people with fitting and I'm no expert. Not by a long shot.

I just think that fit is so important it's worth spending money on.

I fit my last bike as per the fitting guide on competitive cyclist, which is well regarded, and wasn't quite happy with it. Paid $100 for a fit from a LBS, living in Arizona at the time. The difference was brilliant.

A decent fit is a lot more than saddle height. It will include cleat adjustments and saddle fore aft position etc which can be difficult to get right.

Not 100% necessary, but IMO well worth spending money on.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

morana wrote: »
    if you are in town I will do it for you if you donate a €10 to LPB's charity.

and i am an expert :D

Expert antagonist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

A friend helped me with saddle height, pitch and position and my cleat position a few weeks after I got my tricross, put me up on his rollers in his flat, watched my position and made adjustments accoringly, I'd never had a bike fit before, the difference was massive, eliminated knee and ankle strain, reduced numbing in my arse, easier on back and shoulders, etc.

I was more comfortable on the bike for a lot longer after a simple, quick 25 minute session.

would love to get a full fit done with a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 native lane

lol :P

good point made there about the inch height as i did that and went for a spin
    yesterday, 5k in to the cycle i had to stop and reajust it back down a bit..
    i think i have it sorted to the proper height now..
    once again thank use all ur the feed back..

morana i am from town ;) and what is the charity

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

I was having really bad knee problems before, and I saw someone posted this link. Followed it exactly, and have been perfect since...
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/science-of-bike-fitting/

Advertisement