Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best formula for newborns?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has been breast feeding for the last week but is finding it quite difficult,she really wants to keep it up but she's starting to bleed and her armpits are swelling so just as a backup we were wondering what types of formula people use?
    It's a shame but she is giving it her all but I think a lot of women will agree it just gets to painful,well it looks it from my perspective anyway!
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it can be horrific for the 1st few weeks:(
    We use Aptimil as that is what the topped the 1st girl up with in the hospital and it is recommended for combined feeding.
    Your gf should go see the gp about the swollen arm pits I do ot remember that side effect.
    Has she tried nipple shields? they help with recovery. The baby might also not be latching properly which can cause a lot of pain.
    She can talk to the phn or the local breast feeding group about the latch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Different formula suits different babies. I started on SMA with mt first, ended up on Aptamil 1 with her and it suited her. On the second I started with Aptamil and I ended up on Cow & Gate and on the third I started with SMA and she liked it so stuck with it! Try one and if it doesn't suit, try another!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Ye well the midwife was here yesterday and sAid technique and baby latching was all perfect,I dunno what it is,she is determined to keep trying but I feel she'll have to give up soon,the armpits look so sore and her boobs are like rocks!as good as it is for the baby I wouldn't want to see her in agony either

She's gonna get cabbage leaves tomorrow and see of they help at all,she got a manual breast pump earlier,tomee tipee,she didn't seem to get much out of it though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Unfortunately that is many peoples experience of the 1st few weeks:(
    I got nothing out of the manual pump and the most I ever got out of the electric one is 80ml,I can nearly feel her pain and frustration. The best thing that you can do is just show your support to her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Could be a touch of mastitis, visit the doc if she is in any pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

January wrote: »

Breastfeeding.ie has a list of leaflets for doctors re mastitis, thrush etc. a lot of GPs seem ignorant of the appropriate treatments outlined by the hse.
    I would also suggest talking to ala Leche league leader or Cuidiu Breastfeeding counsellor as they are trained Breastfeeding supports. A full list

January wrote: »

Breastfeeding.ie has a list of leaflets for doctors re mastitis, thrush etc. a lot of GPs seem ignorant of the appropriate treatments outlined by the hse.
    I would also suggest talking to ala Leche league leader or Cuidiu Breastfeeding counsellor as they are trained Breastfeeding supports. A full list of supports can be found on Breastfeeding.ie or www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/support

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We use Aptimil as that is what the topped the 1st girl up with in the hospital and it is recommended for combined feeding.

There is no specific formula recommended for combined feeding. They are pretty much all the same.
    That's the power of advertising,

She got mastitis on our first one that was 9 years ago so it's nearly all new to is again ha,well thanks for the advice guys we will keep it up as long as possible,il start prepping myself for the night bottle feeds again ha just incase!!
    Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The latch most definitely isn't perfect if she's bleeding. The swollen armpits could be mastitis if she's also got a poor latch and milk transfer problems.

As liliq said, get her to contact Cuidiu or la Leche immediately for support. She should probably go back to the maternity hospital and see a doctor there as they should be properly trained to diagnose and treat mastitis. She could also contact the hospital lactation consultant and make an appointment to see them while she's there but she needs to do it today.

The bleeding will stop almost immediately once she gets the latch corrected.

I've had mastitis on both of mine. I'm obviously prone to it.

I had a horrendous start on my daughter who is now 5 months. I really wanted to switch to formula at 8 days but I knew I couldn't as I already had mastitis and regular feeding or pumping to empty the breasts is important.

Once we got the latch corrected and the antibiotics for the mastitis we were flying at it. Everything improved hugely within 2 days.

Also worth mentioning that Cuidiu counsellors, la Leche league leaders are free, as are hospital lactation consultants up to 6 weeks.
    Honestly if I was starting with a new baby and recent hindsight being so clear, I'd be on the phone to a la Leche league leader or Cuidiu counsellor ASAP. There's no need to be in pain ad once the right support is on place whatever is going on will be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fair play to her. Nipple shields are the business if there is bleeding to help recovery. You can get thin ones and thick ones... thinner the better.

No best formula, all babies take to them differently. Mine was happier on sma. You can buy little cartons of premixed ones... rather than buying a whole tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'd agree with the others in saying that the latch doesn't sound like its correct. A lot of midwives will miss tongue & lip tie. Your best bet is to get in touch with a lactation consultant or else Cuidiu / La Leche League etc. that will be able to establish if your baby has either, or if the latch is just too shallow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Definitely get a proper lactation consultant in to watch baby feed.

Also, after awful breastfeeding experiences with my two, I used Medela products a lot to help supplement with formula while not ruining my supply coming in properly, this website was a godsend & gave me a chance to get over the breastfeeding problems while not confusing baby with a bottle http://www.medicare.ie/mother-baby.html

At home I rented the hospital grade Medela Symphony breast pump, it was the same one I used in the childrens hospital when my babe was admitted @ 5 days old...she didn't feed & was on drips for a week so the only chance for my supply was to pump, so they gave me the Symphony pump during her stay in hospital.

I also used (when we got home) this to supplement with formula: http://www.medicare.ie/mother-baby/medela-breast-pumps-feeding-accessories/medela-supplemental-nursing-system-snstm.html

and this: http://www.medicare.ie/mother-baby/medela-breast-pumps-feeding-accessories/medela-finger-feeder.html

They might give your missus a chance to recover while keeping her supply up.

Also the formula we used was Aptamil, but every baby is different when it comes to formulas

Wishing ye luck!!

(Our eldest is 9 & our 2nd child is now 17 months....it is like starting all over again isn't it!!)

Advertisement