Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hello

Options
  • 14-10-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hello all im new on here my name is alan..
    i just after buyin my first bike last week and have clocked up a right few km already in the week..
    my aim is join a club in the next few weeks all going well..
    hope to joing in on the chat and learn a bit about cycling..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Welcome Alan!

Cycling's simple enough really. Keep putting in time in the saddle and very soon you'll be amazed at the distances you can cover. You'll lose weight, live longer and live happier! :D

There's a few things you can do to make it all easier. Learn to carry water and some food if you're going out for more than an hour. Learn how to fix a puncture, by carrying a spare inner tube, some tyre levers, and a pump. It also helps to think about clothing a little too. Padded shorts are important, having a good pair is what makes it possible to spend hours and hours in the saddle without (much) pain.

Feel free to share your experiences here and ask for help any time you need it! Main thing is, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 native lane

thanks for ur feed back mate..
    the bike came with the spare tube and the leavers etc but i havent a clue how to fit a new tube ha but im sure i will have to give it a bash some day..
    yes i must get myself some proper shorts as at the min im just wearin normal ones and u can imagain how sore i am lol..
    never tought of bringing food mate what kinda a food is a good sorce?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bananas are excellent for longer spins.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Bananas are excellent for longer spins.

sound mate and thank u for ur post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

thanks for ur feed back mate..
    the bike came with the spare tube and the leavers etc but i havent a clue how to fit a new tube ha but im sure i will have to give it a bash some day..
    yes i must get myself some proper shorts as at the min im just wearin normal ones and u can imagain how sore i am lol..
    never tought of bringing food mate what kinda a food is a good sorce?

Youtube is a fantastic resource for learning how to do little jobs on the bike like changing a puncture. You'll find loads and loads of videos about how to do it, watch a few different ones and it'll become clear.

Yeah a proper pair of cycling shorts are vital really. When you're buying stuff for cycling like clothes or tools or other accessories, there is great value to be had buying online. But, it helps to know what exactly it is you want! It's fine to ask on here for recommendations on whatever it is you're thinking of buying.

Bananas are great, I also like just a peanut butter sandwich shrinkwrapped. I also very much enjoy a cold can of coke on the road! Just go with whatever you feel like eating! There are loads of different types of energy bars and gels you can have, but plenty on here don't believe in them at all. Personally I do use them on sportives and longer solo rides.

• Advertisement

Youtube is a fantastic resource for learning how to do little jobs on the bike like changing a puncture. You'll find loads and loads of videos about how to do it, watch a few different ones and it'll become clear.

Yeah a proper pair of cycling shorts are vital really. When you're buying stuff for cycling like clothes or tools or other accessories, there is great value to be had buying online. But, it helps to know what exactly it is you want! It's fine to ask on here for recommendations on whatever it is you're thinking of buying.

Bananas are great, I also like just a peanut butter sandwich shrinkwrapped. I also very much enjoy a cold can of coke on the road! Just go with whatever you feel like eating! There are loads of different types of energy bars and gels you can have, but plenty on here don't believe in them at all. Personally I do use them on sportives and longer solo rides.

i must invest in some straight away as u said there is notting more better for long spins on the bike,,i be better to buy the longer pants now with the winter comin ?and if u could recommend any web site that i could buy from it would be much appreciated..
    never tought of lookin at youtube so that another thing i must do thanks for the heads up..
    Q,,my bike didnt come with the click peddles use no the ones with the shoes go in to..are they a must

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Q,,my bike didnt come with the click peddles use no the ones with the shoes go in to..are they a must

Defo I'd say it would make your cycling up to 20% easier , and without a doubt invest in decent clothing , good quality padded shorts or leggings are a must

Yeah long ones are probably more appropriate right now with winter coming, nothing worse than cold knees. But both are good to have, depends on how hot or cold blooded you are generally.

My own favourite site to order off is chainreactioncycles.com . They're based in the North, free delivery all over the island of Ireland, items usually arrive within 3-4 days. Wiggle.com is another popular one.

Click-in pedals (confusingly, the correct term for these are "clipless pedals") are not absolutely necessary right away. You will want them eventually and they are a hugely worthwhile investment, but to be honest I'd wait just a little while before buying them. You can get more used to handling the bike, and also you'll know a bit more about what kind of cycling you like doing. Knowing that will help you make a better decision about which clipless pedal system to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I started with a hybrid bike, doing spins of 20/30k. Now also have a road bike, clocking up spins of 120/130k. Cycling is a dangerous addiction, and its easy to get hooked!!
    You'll know the symptoms cos you'll start looking at other bikes and buying gear, even if you have enough: "ah sure them shorts are a bargain at twice the price", the boss believes this line :D

Regarding the click pedals, I think they are called clipless pedals, but I know for a fact that the piece on the shoe is called a cleat. These are the only job for cycling, you can get a lot more power into the pedal as you can pull up as well as push down.

One piece of advice though, get plenty of practice on them before hitting out on the road. Found myself in the ditch one time when I couldn't clip out quick enough. Funny looking back on it!!

Most of all, enjoy yourself

Yeah long ones are probably more appropriate right now with winter coming, nothing worse than cold knees. But both are good to have, depends on how hot or cold blooded you are generally.

My own favourite site to order off is chainreactioncycles.com . They're based in the North, free delivery all over the island of Ireland, items usually arrive within 3-4 days. Wiggle.com is another popular one.

Click-in pedals (confusingly, the correct term for these are "clipless pedals") are not absolutely necessary right away. You will want them eventually and they are a hugely worthwhile investment, but to be honest I'd wait just a little while before buying them. You can get more used to handling the bike, and also you'll know a bit more about what kind of cycling you like doing. Knowing that will help you make a better decision about which clipless pedal system to use.

ur very helpful pal thank u very much for the info.
    and i will have a nosey on the website u have mentioned..
    ur right about the pedals as i must get a good pants first and then decide..
    i would love to take park in some races etc as im very competive lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

i must invest in some straight away as u said there is notting more better for long spins on the bike,,i be better to buy the longer pants now with the winter comin ?and if u could recommend any web site that i could buy from it would be much appreciated..
    never tought of lookin at youtube so that another thing i must do thanks for the heads up..

There is a guy on here goes by the name Tyrell his real name is Steve he is just about to start a new Boards kit order think it is going to be a mustardy yellow look this time get on to him. He has a strange attraction to pain. think he is in his early 20's but has aged a lot recently

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There is a guy on here goes by the name Tyrell his real name is Steve he is just about to start a new Boards kit order think it is going to be a mustardy yellow look this time get on to him. He has a strange attraction to pain. think he is in his early 20's but has aged a lot recently

They're joking. If anyone dares suggest I'm starting a new order, I'll be done for assault.

In all seriousness though, Wiggle.co.uk and Evanscycles.com are other websites for clothing. I find long bibs make my legs uncomfortably sweaty unless it's absolutely freezing out, so maybe just get a pair of shorts for now so you can wear them throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

welcome Native Lane...just watch out for Fridays around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Hi, have you shaved your legs yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Welcome and good luck with the bike.

My bit of advice to add to the stack you've already received is in two parts.....

1. Get yourself a track pump (the upright ones) and keep an eye on your tyre pressures - keep the tyres well inflated to avoid punctures. it also means the tyres roll better and you can go faster!

2. Feel free to ignore traffic lights, they don't really apply to cyclists, nor do one way signs etc*

*that's a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the cycling, its a great sport.

Take a look at this video, will help you with changing inner tubes in tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlt2xog9-9Q

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have you bought vaseline yet? :D

Welcome to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Jawgap wrote: »
    Welcome and good luck with the bike.

My bit of advice to add to the stack you've already received is in two parts.....

1. Get yourself a track pump (the upright ones) and keep an eye on your tyre pressures - keep the tyres well inflated to avoid punctures. it also means the tyres roll better and you can go faster!

2. Feel free to ignore traffic lights, they don't really apply to cyclists, nor do one way signs etc*

*that's a joke!

Ye everybody uses Co2 cartridges now no need for a track pump

lol some funny post and some very helpful ones also..
    must say i am glad i joined up now as it..
    thanks again for all the welcomes guys...
    no havent shaved my legs and no need to buy vaseline as have that in my top drawer ha..
    i havent had much time to browse around the forum yet so am lookin forward to sitting down tonight some time and do some reading..

Advertisement