Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Rotten on TG4 tonight

Options
  • 14-10-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

There's a great series on TG4 at the moment called Guth about various musicians who have Irish roots - John Lennon, Dusty Springfield, The Smiths, Noel & Liam Gallagher etc.

This week's was about Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon whose dad was from Tuam in Galway. There is a repeat of the episode tonight on TG4 at midnight for anyone who missed it. I watched it last Thursday and thought it was excellent. It features an interview with Lydon himself talking about his relationship with this country and how growing up Irish in England affected him. Turns out he was arrested in Dublin in the 70s and thrown into Mountjoy!

Also some great archive footage of the Sex Pistols and Irish punk bands like Stiff Little Fingers and Undertones. It's well worth a look for anyone into music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This is a very interesting programme - thanks for posting the thread.

I must series link the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Watching it now. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Skid X wrote: »
    This is a very interesting programme - thanks for posting the thread.

I must series link the rest of the series.

Yeah, its a great show alright. I thought Lydon came across really well - intelligent, articulate and clearly interested in his Irish heritage.

Good idea for a series, the next episode is about The Smiths - Morrissey & Marr. Fair play to TG4 they keep coming up documentaries as good as you'd see anywhere.

This series is continuing tonight on TG4 at 9.30 with an episode on the Smiths. Good timing with Morrissey back in the news with his book.

It's been a great series so far, I've recommended it to loads of people who have enjoyed it. Nobody seems to have heard about it when I ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Oasis documentary tonight.

Interesting take from the Irish end of things, a little bit too much of the "ah aren't the Irish great" but great to recall the oasis days and nice insight from the people around them.

• Advertisement

Oasis documentary tonight.

Interesting take from the Irish end of things, a little bit too much of the "ah aren't the Irish great" but great to recall the oasis days and nice insight from the people around them.

I thought the Oasis one was fantastic again tonight. I spent some time over in London in the 80's and the footage of the lads working on the sites really hit home. The shows from tonight and the last few weeks really showed what it was like for the Irish in places like London and Manchester.

This series has been brilliant so far. It's more than just a music documentary, it deserves to be seen by anyone who has experienced emigration.

I told friends in England about it but they can't view it on the TG4 player. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Watched the Sex Pistols one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it, but forgot about the rest of the series.

I'm a fan of all the artists covered so I'll catch up online.

TG4 have been consistently making excellent documentaries and dramas for years - all at a fraction of the budget of RTÉ.

More often than not their programmes are more trendy too.

RTÉ would be wise to hire some of the young people they have working in Baile na hAbhann.. Get rid of some of the dinosaurs in Montrose.

I see 'Guth' is being repeated, starting this Thursday at 10.15pm on TG4 with Bing Crosby.

Dusty Springfield, John Lydon, The Smiths, Oasis and The Beatles are featured in the other episodes. Well worth a look.

Great to see this series getting a rerun. I missed the first few episodes when they went out the last time so I will be tuning in.

The shows featuring John Lydon and the Smiths were excellent and surprisingly thought-provoking.

the series is starting tonight on TG4 at 10.15pm with Bing Crosby for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Are these normally available on TG4 player at some point?

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Are these normally available on TG4 player at some point?

Bing is up there now, Click on the link below then look under 'ceol' on the list of headings that goes Nuacht, Dramaíocht, Spórt etc (or 'music' if it your browser translates the page)

http://www.tg4.ie/ie/player/tg4-player.html

Just a reminder that a repeat of the John Lydon episode of this series is on TG4 tonight at 10.15pm.

It was the standout episode from the series in my opinion and Lydon himself comes across very well throughout. He gives a great insight into what it was like to grow up Irish in England in the 60's and 70's.

Lydon himself is the focus of the show but it also features lots of footage & music from the punk era and interviews with other musicians.

It's a top class production and up there with the best music documentaries I've seen on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Its on the tg4 player now. excellent doc.
    (gas to me that Johnny Rottens father came from Tuam, my own oul lads neck of the woods)

Advertisement