Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Gamescom in Ireland

Options
  • 14-10-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi Guys,

Mate of mine over the weekend down in the pub was thinking about why there wasn't a Gamescom in Ireland. I got into a discussion about saying that there wasn't the audience for it and Ireland is too small for something like that. So I thought I put it out to you and win a bet, if there was a Gamescom in Ireland would you go? And if so, who would you like to see at the event?

I've put a poll up so vote away. What do you guys think?

Should there be a GamesCom in ireland 35 votes

Yes, it would be brilliant, we are the hub of gaming anyway
    0% 0 votes
    Yes but I wouldn't attend
    62% 22 votes
    Yes, but there would need to be something else there to be successful
    14% 5 votes
    No, there is no where in Ireland that would want that.
    22% 8 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

No option for Yeah I'd go, and would attend, but theres no way it would be hosted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

The Yes it would be brilliant is if you would go if it happened. I can't see it happening either but its interesting to see if people would attend if the powers that be decided to choose Ireland one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I would go and I know of a number of friends who are not hardcore gamers but would definitely go as well. I reckon there would be good numbers at it, considering the numbers that absolutely desperate "Toys 4 Big Boys" thing gets every year despite just being Buddah Bags, phones, the odd car and a rake of jacuzzis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'd love A) one to be held in Ireland and B) it to me on at a sensible time of the year. Ireland is a small country, but on a gaming per capita basis, AFAIK we're pretty good. I'm not sure I'd quite put us on a gaming hub level, generally speaking, but per capita? I guess, kinda... Though with the low population, I wouldn't quite expect anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would it not be best to ask this in the games forum, as there you have pc, xbox, wii U and ps3 users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Our country would never host it
    were the minority when it comes to the amount of people gaming, even with the size of our population, theirs only a fraction of people who'd actually play a games console.
    Wouldnt mind it though, you would get people coming from different countrys over to fill the gaps anyway

Would it not be best to ask this in the games forum, as there you have pc, xbox, wii U and ps3 users.

It would actually and I wasn't aware there was a games forum so Mods, please feel free to move it actually. Thank you wotzgoingon.

I cannot see it being held here either but I think if it had classy gadgets and not just 'bean bags', it might be work out better but who knows. I think its a difficult sell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Moved to Games. I'll let the Games mods decide whether to leave it open.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Someone tried to start one up a couple of years ago, it fell totally flat on it's face as it appeared they hadn't a clue what they were at.

I thought about putting one on, but after the total lack of interest in the last major games related event I was a part of (World Cyber Games) I realised that the only thing you can rely on Irish gamers for is apathy and armchair criticism and you definitely can't rely on them to come to a big event.

Long story short, Irish Gamers won't get off their arses and attend anything in significant numbers, so why bother? We're way too small a country to justify the sort of money it takes to put this sort of event on, especially when you can do it in the UK for similar money and 20 times the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I probably wouldnt go as the money would be better spent going to the Eurogamer Expo or Gamescom in Leipzig. both of these get far better dev/pub interest and both countries have far far bigger populations

Ireland is a no go considering we have very few big dev teams in ireland compared to the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Not quite the same thing but isn't Gaelcon (http://www.gaelcon.com/) running for a number of years now or is it you just want a games trade show in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Gaelcon is celebrating it's 25th year but it's focus is table top games (card games, warhammer, board games) and pen and paper RPGs. There was a move several times to expand into video games attempted, running a lan as part of it, having fighting games competitions, having demos of up and coming video games in the vendor areas but there wasn't the extra increase in attendees
    to make it work the effort and money to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I reckon there would be good numbers at it, considering the numbers that absolutely desperate "Toys 4 Big Boys"
    A games exhibition wouldn't be much better. You've a very small pool of potential exhibitors to pull from.

I work at building related ones like the ideal homes both here and in the UK, after going to the ideal homes show in London you can see what we do in Ireland is like the lovely girls competition out in a tent. If I wanted to go to any kind of show these days I'd go to the UK to see what's out there.

The bottom line is these shows are for making money, both off the visitors and off the exhibitors, both parties are fleeced for as much money as possible, the exhibitors are fleeced to put the show on and then the visitors are fleeced for pure profit. I don't think the irish market would have enough potential exhibitors to put the show on in the first place, regardless of how many people would go to it.

If you want to go to one of these go to the UK, either London Olympia or the NEC up in Birmingham, these locations are purpose built for these kind of shows, with the NEC you can get a train or plane right to the front door of the exhibition centre. The scale and spectacle of UK shows is non existent in Ireland.

ScumLord wrote: »
    A games exhibition wouldn't be much better. You've a very small pool of potential exhibitors to pull from.

I work at building related ones like the ideal homes both here and in the UK, after going to the ideal homes show in London you can see what we do in Ireland is like the lovely girls competition out in a tent. If I wanted to go to any kind of show these days I'd go to the UK to see what's out there.

The bottom line is these shows are for making money, both off the visitors and off the exhibitors, both parties are fleeced for as much money as possible, the exhibitors are fleeced to put the show on and then the visitors are fleeced for pure profit. I don't think the irish market would have enough potential exhibitors to put the show on in the first place, regardless of how many people would go to it.

If you want to go to one of these go to the UK, either London Olympia or the NEC up in Birmingham, these locations are purpose built for these kind of shows, with the NEC you can get a train or plane right to the front door of the exhibition centre. The scale and spectacle of UK shows is non existent in Ireland.

I agree with this about the NEC. I've seen shows like the gadget show put on a brilliant event in the NEC. Although, maybe if you had that incorporated into the event so it wasn't about games, but about technology and games and it being more tasteful, it might be worth going to. Like gadgets for the house and personal. Bit like a mixture of gadget show, gamescom and ideal homes. That might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

FarmJames wrote: »
    I agree with this about the NEC. I've seen shows like the gadget show put on a brilliant event in the NEC. Although, maybe if you had that incorporated into the event so it wasn't about games, but about technology and games and it being more tasteful, it might be worth going to. Like gadgets for the house and personal. Bit like a mixture of gadget show, gamescom and ideal homes. That might work?
    AKA, toys for big boys. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I believe we tried it before but there wasn't enough exhibitor interest

I don't remember a Gamescom in Ireland? When was that? My mate had and I had a revisit of the situation again last night over a pint. He's still adamant that it would work although he's changed his thoughts on it being more 'The Gadget Show' than Gamescom.

Advertisement