Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle Bag

Options
  • 14-10-2013 4:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can any one recommend a saddle bag?

The current one I have is falling apart.

I'd like to be able to carry two tubes, levers and a multi tool. Dont want to spend to much if I can avoid it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No room in your Jersey pockets?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've had two of these Topeak ones and I like them fine. Might be a bit bulky if you're concerned with looks, but they're well made and don't bounce around. The large one (which I have) will definitely hold all that and more. The medium might do as well, depending how big your multi-tool and tubes are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ror_74 wrote: »

Normally I'd have one tube in my back pocket and the rest in the saddle bag. Would prefer to keep them together if I can keep it neat and tidy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've had two of these Topeak ones and I like them fine. Might be a bit bulky if you're concerned with looks, but they're well made and don't bounce around. The large one (which I have) will definitely hold all that and more. The medium might do as well, depending how big your multi-tool and tubes are.

Been looking at that one alright. Probably top of my list

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

godtabh wrote: »
    Been looking at that one alright. Probably top of my list

I bought one off Mr Skeffington here a few years ago, he'd given it a good bit of use as well I think. Bought myself a new one as the zip was starting to give way (and it was looking tired). I think the zip death was mainly due to over-stuffing when I put my pump in there a few times also. Probably could have been fixed but I deserved a nice new one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pockets are for: Phone, Keys, Money, Gillet, and FOOD. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

I have the medium one of those, it (just!) fits 2 tubes, repair kit, small pump (Lezyne Pressure Drive), 3x tyre levers, chain link, multitool, inhaler, bunch of keys, emergency money, kitchen sink*, plus a light clipped to the back. I weighed it the other day - 750g! Highly recommended anyway.

*might be exaggerating a bit

07Lapierre wrote: »

Take out the Gilet and Food and you've enough space for levers, tube and mini pump.

Wear the Gilet, eat the Food before you go. Shazaam..streamlined bike ride :pac:

Take out the Gilet and Food and you've enough space for levers, tube and mini pump.

Wear the Gilet, eat the Food before you go. Shazaam..streamlined bike ride :pac:

Mini Pump...damn I knew i forgot something! ;)

Downside of being a size small or x-small. My pockets feel absolutely jammers very quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

cut the top of an old bidon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Raam wrote: »
    Agreed.

I had one of those Fizik ICS bags that clips into your saddle with no need for Velcro straps. Oh how I wish I hadn't relied upon it as I retraced my route three times in a vain attempt to find my lost front door key and tubes etc.

ashleey wrote: »
    Agreed.

I had one of those Fizik ICS bags that clips into your saddle with no need for Velcro straps. Oh how I wish I hadn't relied upon it as I retraced my route three times in a vain attempt to find my lost front door key and tubes etc.

Keys go in your pocket, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Keys go in your pocket, dude.

Hide them at the house. Saves both room and weight!

The tube with that is crap. I punctured outside Kingscourt last year with that, the valve broke as soon as I connected the pump. 10k walk to nearest town plus a 70k minibus back to Dublin. Lesson: never rely on a tube that comes free with something else.

This is nice.

2816-23.jpg

The tube with that is crap. I punctured outside Kingscourt last year with that, the valve broke as soon as I connected the pump. 10k walk to nearest town plus a 70k minibus back to Dublin. Lesson: never rely on a tube that comes free with something else.

Might have been, can't honestly remember as it's long gone. Same with the levers. I have these ones now...

http://dotsdial.info/lezyne-matrix-tire-levers-white-wheel-and-tire-tools.aspx

Tiny yokes.

I find that those larger saddle bags rub of the inside of my shorts and cause a bit of wear on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

pockets are for everything.
    rule 29-31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

All this talk that you cant have a saddlebag and must keep everything in your pocket is bull ****, op if you want to put a bloody suitcase under your saddle do it, the one you were looking at is a good one will hold all you need;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

^^ :eek:
    blasphemy

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

With some saddles, you can squeeze a tube between the 2 rails. It jams into place, and will not budge. You can put a second tube in the saddle bag or in your jersey.
    Only with some saddles mind you. It works on of my bikes which has a Prologo Kappa. But it wont work on the other, which is a generic Scott.

Might have been, can't honestly remember as it's long gone. Same with the levers. I have these ones now...

http://dotsdial.info/lezyne-matrix-tire-levers-white-wheel-and-tire-tools.aspx

Tiny yokes.

Man up will ya! Tyre levers? Use your bare hands! ;)

Oh I just lend them out to other people. Errr, yes, that's why I have them.

pockets are for everything.
    rule 29-31

Sorry, I didn't get past. Rule 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mini Pump...damn I knew i forgot something! ;)
    ......You also forgot the comb! :D

Koblet_cropped_zps73014d08.jpg

......You also forgot the comb! :D

Koblet_cropped_zps73014d08.jpg

A comb! Ha ha... That's one item I DON'T need!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Climbers like Raam don't have strong enough any muscles to be able to do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I like the Arundel Dual. I've had one of these on each bike for a few years now and have never had a problem with them working their way loose or spewing their contents out all over the road. They are a very simple design, a single compartment, a leather patch which butts up against the seatpost (protecting both it and the bag itself), and a long velcro strap wraps through the saddle rails and around the bag to hold it in place. It'll hold 2 tubes, tyre levers, a multitool, and spare patches, and still have a small bit of room left over. It doesn't catch on my legs and there is no exposed velcro to snag on anything.

My wife has one too, but hers fell off at least once. When I compared it to mine the velcro strap on hers was just a little shorter and therefore there was less velcro holding it in place. She also had some extra bits and pieces in hers which meant the velcro had a harder task to start with. So maybe the contents of mine are just within its limits and/or the quality control at the factory that churns them out might be suspect, but I've been very happy with mine and would buy one again in an instant.

They also make a smaller one, the Arundel Uno, which I swapped onto my good bike a while back. It has a little over half the capacity of the Dual but still manages to comfortably hold all of the stuff I put into my Dual minus one tube.

Advertisement