Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bet for a student laptop - 11.6" or 13.3"?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Sorry for posting another of the "which laptop should I choose" threads, but I genuinely can't decide. The main issue is the screen size and weight, lesser issue is price and an unknown is processor power.
    I'm trying to decide between an 11.6" and a 13.3" laptop, both the same model. I have an older 14" model which I am going to give to someone. Much as I love it (it's a Lenovo R61, great machine), at 2.4kg it's far too heavy. I need something more portable for my main workstation.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90517541/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e330.asp First of all, the German keyboard isn't an issue for me, neither is the lack of a Windows OS. This is the 13.3" model, weight is 1.8kg, processor is Intel Core i3 3120M, 2.5 GHz.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90501165/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e130.asp This is the 11.6" model, weight is 1.54kg, processor is Intel Pentium 997, 1.6GHz.

I think, all things considered, I'd rather get the 13.3" as the specs are better, though it will stretch my budget, but is it portable enough for a student laptop? I find the R61 a trial to lug around. And would an 11.6" suffice for writing a thesis on, etc? As for the processor, I'd only use the laptop for word processing and browsing.
    Sorry again for the triviality of the thread but it's been a while since I used anything smaller than a 14" and I could do with some opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

stay away from the pentium, too old.

As for whether 11 inch is suitable for writing, go to a store and check out the feel of them. I can use them for typing just fine, most people prefer a full sized keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

stay away from the pentium, too old.

As for whether 11 inch is suitable for writing, go to a store and check out the feel of them. I can use them for typing just fine, most people prefer a full sized keyboard.

Too old? Both the Puntium 997 and the Core i3-3120M were launched in Q3/2012. ;)

However, the difference in performance is quite significant (CPUMark score 1518 as opposed to 3284) as the Pentium is also a ULV processor (17W max TDP), designed for better better battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Torqay wrote: »
    Too old? Both the Puntium 997 and the Core i3-3120M were launched in Q3/2012. ;)

However, the difference in performance is quite significant (CPUMark score 1518 as opposed to 3284) as the Pentium is also a ULV processor (17W max TDP), designed for better better battery life.

I didn't know they were released at the same time, with the difference in power I had assumed it was older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I didn't know they were released at the same time, with the difference in power I had assumed it was older

The current regular (i.e. non-ULV) Celeron and Pentium processors are not too shabby, the performance is comparable 1st genaration Core i3 processors but with better graphics.

If you can pick up one of these for around 300 yoyos, it's an OK deal.

I had two ASUS X501A Ultrabooks here last week (Celeron 1000M, bought from HN for €299). A Windows 7 Experience Index score of 4.3 is not bad at all (CPU score was 5.7 IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you hadn't been giving your laptop away you could have considered a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard.

My daughter finds her Nexus plus keyboard perfect for note taking. It's much smaller and lighter than her laptop and has a good battery life. Being left handed writing at speed is difficult and tiring, particularly if you have a full day of lectures. She reckons the Nexus plus keyboard is the best thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

monocleman wrote: »
    I think, all things considered, I'd rather get the 13.3" as the specs are better, though it will stretch my budget, but is it portable enough for a student laptop? I find the R61 a trial to lug around. And would an 11.6" suffice for writing a thesis on, etc? As for the processor, I'd only use the laptop for word processing and browsing.
    Sorry again for the triviality of the thread but it's been a while since I used anything smaller than a 14" and I could do with some opinions.

If thats all you need and money is an issue you could get a Lenovo Yoga 11

Very Thin/Light
    Battery lasts between 10 and 14 hours.
    Runs Windows RT for ARM but 8.1 (ARM) is released on the 20th of October so you'll get Outlook as well and a few other improvements.
    Office is Included also.
    Ergonomics are great also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenov-Yoga11-11-6-inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B00DPES2VC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381851371&sr=8-3&keywords=lenovo+yoga+11

Beware that it is ARM so its not X86 based, however for the missus its perfect as she doesn't need other stuff than Web Browser and Office, Skype/IM and so on.

Battery life and ergonomics were more important, also it folds into a tablet format so its handy for reading and so on.

Miles better than a Chromebook (no office is a dealbreaker for me) and also much better than a Surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 monocleman

Thanks for the feedback.

I've done that in PC World, hard to gauge though in a showroom situation. I'll give it another go.
    If thats all you need and money is an issue you could get a Lenovo Yoga 11.

Thanks, will look into that. Matte screens are my preference, but sometimes glossy ones aren't too bad (from the pov of a fairly light-sensitive type).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 monocleman

Just thought I'd update in case it might help others who are looking for laptops. I eventually decided on a refurbished laptop and went with this, customised with extra RAM: http://www.refreshedbyus.com/laptops/lenovo-x200-2-4-laptop (the description is wrong - it's 12", not 13")
    Extremely prompt delivery and good service, very happy so far. Nice and light and it starts up in a few seconds, and excellent condition. The company is a fairly recent start up, but its parent company is Asset Management Ireland Ltd.
    A friend got a HP Elitebook in excellent condition and working order at this shop: http://www.esm-computer.de. It's worth keeping an eye on their Facebook page as they do deals sometimes. He got 10% off his order.

Advertisement