Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying property on a golf course

Options
  • 14-10-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

what are the pro's and con's of purchasing a property on a golf course.

i'm thinking in relation to Carton House and K Club in particular.

i understand they may be leasehold or freehold (although i cannot see which currently) - would this turn you off?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Golf balls in your garden?

I don't like leasehold, even very long leasehold.

Be thorough in checking out management co's etc. plus any other restrictions. If you're a golfer playing rights would be nice.

Would this be for you to live in as your principal residence?

Some complications I can think of would be tourists coming and going in the other houses, restrictions on what changes you can make to the appearance of the house, access restrictions if there was a big event on and being tied to the performance and management of the club to a greater or lesser extent.

I'm struggling to come up with positives - presumably it would be in a scenic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Thanks, yeah thinking as primary residence. The houses look nice, and in a golfer but yeah don't like the leasehold and all o above mentioned. Not really that appealing I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i'm thinking in relation to Carton House
    No parties, must keep house looking nice, car windscreen + golfball = tough poop. Also, don't think they take kindly if you have guests over during golf competitions, and you'll need to live by their rules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the_syco wrote: »
    No parties, must keep house looking nice, car windscreen + golfball = tough poop. Also, don't think they take kindly if you have guests over during golf competitions, and you'll need to live by their rules.

So, effectively, you're renting an extremely posh bedsit with a massive, massive downpayment? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The houses in Carton House are Lovely and a bit away from the main hotel,if they were not so far out of town I would want one too:)

MYOB wrote: »
    So, effectively, you're renting an extremely posh bedsit with a massive, massive downpayment? ;)
    Seems you get a share in the golf course, so I'm assuming you get some sort of membership. But yes. I extremely doubt you'd be allowed to carry out any extensions to the existing houses, as it looks like you'll be getting a thousand year rent, as Carton would be stupid selling land on it's grounds, as then people could build another house on it, and sell it off.

Location; http://goo.gl/maps/zu0GL
    Depending on wind, I'd say the houses to the west of the green get a fair amount of hits, by golf balls. The comical part; if it's nice outside, you won't want to relax in your back garden, in case you hear the word "FOOOOOOORRREEEE...!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wouldn't dream of it if there's any increased risk of being struck by a ball. If the houses are well away from the fairways etc. so the chances are no greater than anywhere else then the other issues come in to play: can you modify/extend the property? If not, that's the single biggest benefit of a house over an apartment lost and I wouldn't be interested.

I can see the appeal of nicely landscaped surroundings but I thinks the downsides are too great in all probability. Ok for folks with "cash to splash about" but not practical for a primary residence probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Some of the golf course houses have compulsory membership for €1000s per year. No thanks!

murphaph wrote: »
    I can see the appeal of nicely landscaped surroundings but I thinks the downsides are too great in all probability. Ok for folks with "cash to splash about" but not practical for a primary residence probably.
    I'm thinking that they'd be a few "buy to let" properties (to be let at €10k per week during peek months), with a few being summer homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I didnt think anyone owned those houses as primary residents, do they? Ive never put much thuoght into it, but I always just assumed that the houses on the K Club for example were bought either as summer residents or to be let out as holiday homes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

djimi wrote: »
    I didnt think anyone owned those houses as primary residents, do they? Ive never put much thuoght into it, but I always just assumed that the houses on the K Club for example were bought either as summer residents or to be let out as holiday homes etc?

Certainly a few owner occupiers in Carton

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i would have no intention of building an extension, i'm looking for a house in "showroom" condition and thats why these came to my attention - they seem to be very well finished.

look at this for €0.5 million which looks to be away from the fairway

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/901-ladycastle-the-k-club-straffan/2653361

some of these houses on the K Club were going for almost €4 million during the carazy years !

the leasehold is the only real issue that would prevent me from taking this seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

i would have no intention of building an extension, i'm looking for a house in "showroom" condition and thats why these came to my attention - they seem to be very well finished.

look at this for €0.5 million which looks to be away from the fairway

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/901-ladycastle-the-k-club-straffan/2653361

some of these houses on the K Club were going for almost €4 million during the carazy years !

the leasehold is the only real issue that would prevent me from taking this seriously.

That is a BIG house!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is gorgeous.
    It looks like you might get more for your money there then Carton.
    http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/5-Leinster-Wood-Carton-Demesne-Maynooth-Co-Kildare/656033/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

jesus thats some difference..get the kclub one!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

the_syco wrote: »
    Seems you get a share in the golf course, so I'm assuming you get some sort of membership. But yes. I extremely doubt you'd be allowed to carry out any extensions to the existing houses, as it looks like you'll be getting a thousand year rent, as Carton would be stupid selling land on it's grounds, as then people could build another house on it, and sell it off.
    They will be selling fully services sites in about acre size starting from 300K next year. As far as I know there is 3K annual management fee to be paid. And leasehold for 99 years, not freehold. Do not know if occupiers will be allowed to buy freehold right back from Carton. Seems to be very costly place to build on. Especially if there is a restriction of one house on one plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I live on a golf course/ hotel complex ( not either you mention but well known) and could not recommend it highly enough. Brilliant to be able to come home from work in summer, walk out on the course and play a few holes. Great social scene, know a lot of house owners so no shortage of playing partners. Very private and great security. I am putting an extension on to house in 2015, I have spoken to neighbours and there are no problems. The maintanence fees are a bit of a pain but there is no requirement to take out golf membership, some of neighbours do not play golf. I love it.

I have friends living in both kclub and carton, been in both houses and of the two, I think Carton is miles ahead in terms of houss design, course, facilities and atmosphere. I could be wrong but I think the owners of carton take better care of everything on the complex.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Before I even looked at the place- I'd be asking what the management charge is....... I know the K Club have an annual management charge of 8-10k, without membership of the club or the right to use the course (some properties sold there recently did have golfing rights- but they were the exception rather than the norm).

Carton is lovely- I viewed a few properties there some time ago on behalf of a family member. They loved them- however, in the end, the commute to work in Dublin was a deciding factor (they eventually bought an old Georgian townhouse on Pembroke road that needed significant work- but the location is remarkable).

Advertisement