Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deian on Virtuabox, network issues

Options
  • 14-10-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a non-gui debian machine installed on Virtualbox, the host machine is Windows.

I can ping the host machine and other machines on my workplace network. I cannot reach the outside world however.

Any advice? Obviously I cannot instal new software.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You need to add a second interface. One for the LAN, one for the internets. (one NAT and one bridged)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Or just change the existing network definition to make it a Bridged Adapter!?
    Then the VM should receive an IP in the same network as your host and assuming your host has internet access so should the client VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Cheers for the answers folks.

I had the two adaptor setup described by Khannie above.

In the end I needed to set up a proxy from the command line which I did using the instructions on this page: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/how-to-set-proxy-for-terminal-quick.html

For some reason the proxy setting on Virtualbox itself didn't take effect.

Thanks again for the help.

(I misspelled Debian in the thread title. Would a mod mind changing this?)

Advertisement