Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible scam?

Options
  • 14-10-2013 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of a possible scam with selling stuff on done deal.
    Recently I've been selling a couple of phones through the site but I've been getting text messages asking me for the best price and to email them back.
    They seem to be automated messages, when I reply I get a long email about how to do the transaction using PayPal.
    I've had 3 messages in the last 24 hours the same just with different names.

What's sets bells off is that they are willing to pay more than the asking price.

Also a few months ago I was selling another phone, got a similar message and when I followed it through they wanted me to send the phone to an address in Nigeria!

Now I always presumed that PayPal is secure.

Should I consider selling the phone to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, it is a scam.
    This is from Motors where we have a thread on donedeal scams but someone posted this:
    I got scammed from it over the last few days. I was selling an iPad and again like a post above she was buying it for her son working in a telecommunications company abroad. Asked me to write "a gift from mum" on the package. Trying to get it stopped by an post now. Not a chance though it going to Nigeria. Again she offered me €350 + 60 for P&P.
    I then received emails from PayPal saying they debited too much from dianes account and I needed to credit her the money back through western union before they would release the funds. Again after I done this and sent on confirmation another email from PayPal came through saying I needed to bring my account up to a certain amount as it was my first transaction. So again I fell twice.
    Contacted the guards and there is nothing they can do. And money is collected on the otherside within an hour or so.
    Posting here in the hope that it helps someone else not get scammed. €1000 down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Cheers, I was thinking it was too good to be true but I'm sure there are people getting scammed regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mohailem

is differently scams .
    check here this what happened with me
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057056568

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

... had the exact same email scam artist on to me pretty quickly after putting a phone for sale on donedeal. Her fake name was H**** Morris. some bull about wanting it for her son. Offered to pay me in advance by paypal. Funny grammar and referred to me as 'my dear'. Smelt a scam when she offered me more a good bit more than I was looking when I said I had another buyer.
    I wondered how the scam could work. Now I know.

Heres more info: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77243

The text was: "Thanks, I have a very busy schedule at work please and We found
    paypal to be easier and safer to send money online today my dear, it
    doesn't need any bank or your personal details, all you need to do is
    register online via www.paypal.com with your email address link it up
    with your account and send me the email address and i will transfer
    it.once your money is cleared just notify me.Get back asap please.
    Kind regards"

Her text number was unreachable. She preferred to be contactable by email.

Another mail came with the following text.

" The buyer just emailed us now that their will need to be changing of address.
    Below is the new address where the item should be posted.

Name: James Morris
    Block A Flat 6 Dogo Police Barrack, Apata
    City:Ibadan
    State:Oyo-State
    Zip Code: 23402

We advise you to reply to this email to confirm it.

You are 100% protected against fraudulent activities,"

I've pasted it here so it may be picked up by other suspicious people who search the web.

Advertisement