Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was it Mercury or Venus.

Options
  • 13-10-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I was at Rosses Point Friday night, always a great place to look at sunset in the western sky.
    Below the cresent moon, I notice a ''star'' in the red haze, I don't think it was bright enough for Venus, was it Mercury.
    Venus is surpose is be visible in the evening sky and so is Mercury, but I only saw 1 planet, which 1 did I see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I was at Rosses Point Friday night, always a great place to look at sunset in the western sky.
    Below the cresent moon, I notice a ''star'' in the red haze, I don't think it was bright enough for Venus, was it Mercury.
    Venus is surpose is be visible in the evening sky and so is Mercury, but I only saw 1 planet, which 1 did I see.

Probably Venus, because it's that little bit closer to the moon at the moment, though Venus, Mercury & Saturn are all in really close proximity to one another right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Probably Venus, because it's that little bit closer to the moon at the moment, though Venus, Mercury & Saturn are all in really close proximity to one another right now.
    Strange I didn't see Mercury or Saturn, the horizon was very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Strange I didn't see Mercury or Saturn, the horizon was very clear.

Of the three of them Venus is currently the highest in the evening sky. This evening for example, Mercury dropped below the horizon shortly after 6, Saturn a while later, 6:30ish and Venus around 7 (according to google sky maps at least. It was too cloudy to see anything this evening in the sky). It's probably a bit too bright that early to make out Mercury & Saturn. Though I did see Venus a few days ago and it was exceptionally bright.

I'd recommend google sky maps or stellarium. I often use them for checking up what I'm looking at. They're really handy to have.

Advertisement