Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi fi connection

Options
  • 13-10-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

This question is probably a measure of my ignorance but here goes:

If I adjust the link speed and duplex on LAN from say auto to 10 Mbps full duplex, will that affect Wi Fi reception - using Samsung netbook NC 10 - Windows xp.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

No, but why would you want to alter the lan speed? The quality of your wireless signal is affected by distance and the presence of other RF signals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not really a windows question.

you max speed is determined by the slowest hop.

if you don't have 10Mb internet then it's not make a blind bit of difference as that's where you get throttled

if it's 802.11b then max speed is 11Mb/s half-duplex ,downhill with the wind behind you. by the time you take into account overheads that's 10Mb

if the wifi is 54Mb/s then ONLY if you can connect to it above 11Mb AND you have >10 Mb would it be limiting

and why would you do that ?
    unless you have a good reason leave it at auto - if the LAN isn't stable at 100Mb then fix the LAN

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

To clarify a bit: I have a PC on LAN and had a problem with connections dropping off and read somewhere that adjusting the Link speed and Duplex setting would help, so I changed it to 10 Mbps, Full Duplex and it cured the problem - I can't remember what the original setting was. I have a similar problem with the Netbbok on Wi Fi, hence my original question

Advertisement