Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st GP visit..

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So I'm 6 wks gone and had done the home test but was told to get it confirmed with my GP. So i went to GP last week and just feel annoyed after it.
    GP basically said that there was nothing she could do til I was 20weeks!! I know its early but thought it would be more organised. She said not to come back til mid December. She asked if I was taking folic acid and took my weight.

I also asked about going private as its my first and there's family history of high blood pressure and other complications. Again she was like if you want to spend thousands for what you get free.
    So i'm very confused now.. and she charged me €50 quid for this sage advice!! My old GP had left practice and i'm seriously thinking of getting a new GP.

Maybe i'm hormonal but anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

dustie1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So I'm 6 wks gone and had done the home test but was told to get it confirmed with my GP. So i went to GP last week and just feel annoyed after it.
    GP basically said that there was nothing she could do til I was 20weeks!! I know its early but thought it would be more organised. She said not to come back til mid December. She asked if I was taking folic acid and took my weight.

I also asked about going private as its my first and there's family history of high blood pressure and other complications. Again she was like if you want to spend thousands for what you get free.
    So i'm very confused now.. and she charged me €50 quid for this sage advice!! My old GP had left practice and i'm seriously thinking of getting a new GP.

Maybe i'm hormonal but anyone else had this experience?

I had pretty much exact experience! He didn't even make me do a test! I was only 4 weeks pregnant. It took us 6 months so was literally checking every month! My gp basically said if you want to go private pay for mount carmel otherwise go free! He said you are paying for your surrondings in mount carmel! I had my heart set on mount carmel previous to this. He told me not to ring hospital till 8 weeks! I was raging because when I rang about domino they were booked out! And said you need to book ASAP like 4 weeks to get a spot! I was put on a waiting list and got the call last week to say I got a spit :) gp charged me €50 too! In fairness I am 25 weeks now and he is grand! This is my first child so maybe I was expecting too much!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is exactly how it goes,they confirm you are pregnant charge you then saw see you when ever.
    Book your hospital and consultant asap.

Congrats:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

To be honest he charged you for a service you are not happy with and quite frankly I think you were really brushed off. My GP was very professional and explained everything what I should do next. Number one she confirmed that I am pregnant, I got a combined care card ( with all the dates when I should be in a hospital and go GP). I was explained how maternity service works and got names of all hospitals. Also I wasn't charged as its a part of combined care.
    I would not be happy to come back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Firstly, big congrats on your news :-)

i would be going to a different gp if I was you. While they don't see you at all often until your further on, you'd expect at least for questions to be answered in a professional manner. Obviously they have particular opinions about going private but when you're looking for information that's not what you need. My experience was that the gp tested and confirmed pregnancy, filled in the combined care form and didn't charge me because I opted for combined care. However ive seen ladies on here who were charged for first visit regardless of care chosen. Do you get the option of combined care if going private? Maybe they thought since you were undecided that you might not be going under this scheme?
    No matter what way you look at it though, you were given fantastic news and shouldn't have been made to feel annoyed so I would definitely switch to another gp. Personally I switched several times throughout my pregnancy but stayed in the same practice and I never had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why are you getting charged I wonder? My GP asked me to fill out a form registering her for the pregnancy care, and said the govt pay for all GP maternity visits... Of which this was the first.

She took bloods, and looked at my own stick-test (said those were were more accurate than hers). Didn't weigh me, and sent off for the hospital appointment. Gave me the number to follow up the hosp appointment, because they can get lost. She also phoned and asked for an early preg unit scan for me, as I had previous miscarriage.

She asked if I wanted private recommendations, explained the different types, and I said I would stick with public.

I went to hosp at 6,7 and 12 weeks for my scans, back to her at 16 and back to hosp again for 20 week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

First visit charge is optional, some GP's incorporate it into the charge for combined care, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

who told you to get it confirmed with your GP? Most of the digital brand tests are as good, if not better, than the ones used by the GP.
    Bit of a waste of €50 to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The hospitals have a tendency to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I didn't get charged for my 1st visit. I was 6 weeks, I tried to pay had no idea at the time ante natal visits were free, they told me I didn't need to pay.
    At first I wasn't overly happy with my GP I think at the start they just don't want you taking up time asking lots of questions maybe, my guy was very much of the opinion your pregnant you have 9 months to ask this stuff go home and come back when your almost there. Towards the end he started to give me a lot more time and information when I got to about 7 month stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 derstern

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go public or private and the doctor advised me to call and let her know afterwards. Regardless of route taken there was no charge for the initial visit.

If you are taking the combined care route (public) you will have 6 of those appointments with your doctor, so best to be going to a doctor that you're happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

Out of curiosity, is it necessary to go to your GP at all, if you can just go straight to the hospital? Since home tests are so sensitive nowadays, is the GP visit more of a courtesy than anything?

yes and I don't know.
    They write you a referral letter and when you ring the hospital to book they ask you did you go to your gp but that is my experience.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    yes and I don't know.
    They write you a referral letter and when you ring the hospital to book they ask you did you go to your gp but that is my experience.

Coombe don't ask for a GP letter. I didn't go to my GP after the first time, didn't trust their tests to be as sensitive as the home ones. I don't do combined care though so no real need for me to go to GP.

I think I went to about 2 of the gp visits last time..
    I am always pissed off paying for the initial appt but your entitled to 1 in the 1st 12 weeks and the rest after.

The first gp visit is mainly for the blood tests though isn't it, rather than confirming anything? Those results show your immunity to various things and if you have some dormant condition that can affect pregnancy (hep B, rubella etc), RH factor, blood type, blood count, your iron levels. You can get all those done at the hospital of course if you skip the GP, but that is months later, and (my peeve coming here) with some random blood-getter who may be Stabby McStab with the needle.

If you are on pregnancy 3 or 4 maybe, and you pretty much know things aren't going to have changed much, then you are probably ok. On pregnancy 1 I would go. You don't want to end up being RH neg (like me), falling off a hoist at week 8 (like me) and not knowing you need a anti-d shot in the next 24 hours.

Nope that is the 1st hospital appt @12 week or when ever you get it

I have never had a pregnancy blood test done by the gp and I had 3 different ones due to moving.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Nope that is the 1st hospital appt @12 week or when ever you get it

I have never had a pregnancy blood test done by the gp and I had 3 different ones due to moving.

Weird. All three of my pregnancies the bloods have been done by my GP. I was only looking over them earlier today as my iron was low for this pregnancy, so I had to get another iron test done at 12 weeks. I have the letter from that here too. They will prob do another on this weeks appt, as i'm borderline on it still.

... Actually, i have the letter here from the 12 week appointment too. It also says to bring the blood results from GP. Maybe the CUMH policy is different to other hospitals up the country.

Must be... never had blood tests at GP, always at first hospital appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I've has 3 pregnancies - on all at my initial visit to my gp, bloods were done, and I was given copies of the results to bring to the hospital once they were back. He took my weight congratulated me and told me to come back 4 weeks after first hospital appointment which apart from an early scan varied between 12 and 14 weeks.

He never bothered doing any pregnancy tests said the home tests are more sensitive tests than the ones they use.

He filled out the firm for combined care and wrote referral letter for the hospital.

I had been thinking of going private but after his opinion I changed my mind and went public.

I know the hospital asked me each time had I blood done and the results were put on my file and also the combined care card. But I did see them do some bloods so not everyone had them done by their gp.

I went to all my gp visits and although they didn't entail much they always checked my weight, bp, urine abd the bump. He was happy to answer any questions I had. I got high bp on my second so had to have frequent testing of it done. It was at a gp visit the protein was first noticed in urine and I was sent straight to the hospital.

I think what's frustrating is the difference In how it all works from hospital to hospital and gp to gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I am in denmark and also have had bloods done at the first GP visit for each pregnancy, but they do not schedule that first appointment until you are at least 8 weeks pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I think what's frustrating is the difference In how it all works from hospital to hospital and gp to gp.

I think this is so strange in a way. I know there would generally be some difference but I didn't realise how vastly different they can be. I'm very happy with the way my mine has turned out (domino scheme) but can't believe it's not offered to everyone. I would've hated a consultant lead care although I know this is very important to others.

I went to the GP first as I had no idea what you were meant to do, didn't really need confirmation. She signed me up for combined care and didn't charge me. Blood tests done with the midwives as 12/13 weeks.

I was lucky that I sort of fell into the domino scheme, I had considered going private, I have health insurance so tbh I didn't realise you'd have to pay 1000's extra.

My gp has said to me that I'm seeing her too much as I'm so healthy, I just attend the combined care visits and had thought it was too many. For me I feel I prob would have been fine with just the midwife appts.

Anyway sorry that's all prob a bit OT but I do think they should have some sort of print out of all your options given at your first visit. I know now where the information is available but to be honest my head was so crazed at the thought of the pregnacy itself I needed clearer instruction at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My GP was very helpful, I was of the understanding you must go to your GP to confirm the pregnancy, which he did, he sat with me and explained the level of care I should expect to get, and if I wanted to go private or public, i went public, I have private healthcare but the amount I would have had to top it up by was ridiculous, Got excellent care as a public patient, My GP sent a referral letter to my local hospital and he also booked me in and so I got called around the 16 week mark for first hospital appt where bloods were taken and had a scan to predict estimated due date, I was given a form which listed when to expect to see GP and Hosptial throughout pregnancy, I would expect better service from a GP and think you should find a more suitable GP, when your baby is born you will probably bring him/her to get vaccs and 6 week checkup etc so I would get one now that you will be comfortable with and you should not have been charged for that first visit, its all part of the combined care as a public patient. Good luck with pregnancy, it's a wonderful time. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Libbybelle

I have just booked my first GP appointment. I have already had an early scan last week (paid privately) but I was advised to visit my GP as well as they would send my details to the maternity hospital. I was advised by the receptionist in the GP to bring a urine sample and she told me there would be no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

My GP is fantastic. I've already been to him about 4 times this pregnancy with recurring UTI and SPD. Had a m/c in July last year and he didn't charge me for the visit. It's a family practice that i've been going to since I was a child and my mother and her mother all went there so I think that makes a difference

Advertisement