Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting out a camellia

Options
  • 13-10-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello all

I have a camellia in a pot which I want to plant in the ground before it gets pot bound. My problem is that I have very little planting space. The spot that I have is east facing location under the shade of fairly tall bamboo - see pic. Would this be too cold/shaded?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Needs must as the devil drives. Which camellia is it and how big will it grow or do you intend to prune to fit so to speak. what impact will it have on your lovely bamboo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you could pot it up into a bigger pot and try it out in its new position for a while to see what you think, before comitting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I think it unwise to plant a Camelia so close to the bamboo in a congested space? The Nigra is doing well and will continue to do so but I would expect introducing the Camelia will lead to trouble, with the Camelia struggling for light, moisture and a potential invasive bamboo root restricting it's future growth prospects leading to more regular cutting back of bamboo to avoid smothering the Camelia.

I would transplant Camelia to a larger pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Oldtree wrote: »
    you could pot it up into a bigger pot and try it out in its new position for a while to see what you think, before comitting

Thanks Oldtree.
    Firstly, no idea of type other then white! Double flowered. Pic attached of what it looks like currently. (You may remember the saga of the last one, summer 2012 which I ended up planting out with your instructions and it's doing great.) So trying to avoid repeat performance with this one - in the same pot! I think it could be pretty pot bound by next Spring, if not already.

Not worried about the bamboo - it's a bit mental anyway so don't think it would come to any harm.

I think it unwise to plant a Camelia so close to the bamboo in a congested space? The Nigra is doing well and will continue to do so but I would expect introducing the Camelia will lead to trouble, with the Camelia struggling for light, moisture and a potential invasive bamboo root restricting it's future growth prospects leading to more regular cutting back of bamboo to avoid smothering the Camelia.

Thanks. Posted pic of current pot - it's pretty big. Not sure I would find much bigger and not sure I would have room for it in my backyard

• Advertisement

Bamboo well established and to be honest taking over that spot, but hadn't considered the root structure. Would cutting it back be any use?

The other alternative is to plant it along the path, see pics, but would this be too exposed? The front door is west facing.

Monsclara wrote: »
    Bamboo well established and to be honest taking over that spot, but hadn't considered the root structure. Would cutting it back be any use?

Cutting back does nothing to solving the inevitable spreading roots, to be blunt, I would never plant even a slow growing black stemmed bamboo in open ground, especially in a restricted space, because it is only a matter of time when trouble (spreading roots) starts. These plants can in right conditions get very tall and cause havoc. When mature they can be very difficult to remove!

It would be worth considering extracting the bamboo and plant within a robust root barrier or into a container/pot. There would appear to be plenty of room for Camellia nearer house.

You've got a very nice collection of plants which all seem to be thriving!;)

Yes, the bamboo is a bit wild, but I like it as it provides a lot of privacy from the house behind. I had an idea (probably crazy) to plant about 3 camellias along the path up to the door, but am unsure about whether they would be too exposed. The wall alongside the path is about 2m high but on the other side it's open apart from the deciduous magnolia. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I wouldn't be too concerned about planting camellias, site seems to be reasonably sheltered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement