Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Stethoscope

Options
  • 13-10-2013 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi All...

Need to pick the brains of the doctors, please...

My godson has just started to study medicine... As I really want to mark this milestone, and wish him well, I would like to buy him his first stethoscope...

Can you tell me what I should look for, where I should go, etc., please???..

Thank you all...

Darth....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Darthvadar wrote: »
    Hi All...

Need to pick the brains of the doctors, please...

My godson has just started to study medicine... As I really want to mark this milestone, and wish him well, I would like to buy him his first stethoscope...

Can you tell me what I should look for, where I should go, etc., please???..

Thank you all...

Darth....

Clarendon medical on Clarendon St, or O'Hara medical on Kevin St (I think, it's near Aungier St anyway). Littmann are the most well known brand, and make high quality gear. Speak to the assistants in the shop, they'll make sure you don't get a paediatric steth or something like that. I got mine starting college (10 years!), and still have it, so it's certainly worthwhile spending the extra bit of money on a high quality steth to my mind. Not sure on current prices, but the region of €100 for what I'm describing is about right.

Just checked out medisave.ie, about €70-€90 for a Littmann Classic II SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Clarendon medical on Clarendon St, or O'Hara medical on Kevin St (I think, it's near Aungier St anyway). Littmann are the most well known brand, and make high quality gear. Speak to the assistants in the shop, they'll make sure you don't get a paediatric steth or something like that. I got mine starting college (10 years!), and still have it, so it's certainly worthwhile spending the extra bit of money on a high quality steth to my mind. Not sure on current prices, but the region of €100 for what I'm describing is about right.

Just checked out medisave.ie, about €70-€90 for a Littmann Classic II SE.

Icemancometh...

You're a gem!.... Thank you so much for this!.... Great pointer!...

Now just to check that the place is wheelchair accessible!.....

God bless, and thank you again....

Darth....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

One thing you can do as well is to get his name engraved on the head, which is useful when the stethoscope inevitably goes missing.

MrCreosote...

Thanks very much... An excellent idea... Would never have thought of that... Think this young man and his possessions seem to drift apart regularly, so an engraving would give it a better chance of finding it's way back to him!!...

Appreciate you taking the time to respond....

God bless....

Darth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

buy online from medisave.ie and get it 'laser engraved' with his name (not dr his name) just his first name surname.

• Advertisement

buy online from medisave.ie and get it 'laser engraved' with his name (not dr his name) just his first name surname.

Thanks DE....

That's a great find!....

Thanks for your time....

God bless...

Darth....

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Definitely only do firstname surname. You could also so mobile no - but if he loses things regularly may need to change his phone :)

You can get a 5% discount with a Facebook discount. You like Medisave and it generates an individual code. Just did it for you - FB7864539579PL56761 - but if someone else uses you could generate one yourself.

Most people start with the Classic IISE but if your budget runs to a little more, cardiology III is the generally the next step up. Don't go for a paediatric one - no real point as he'll be working with adults for all but 6-8 weeks really.

Abby19 wrote: »
    Definitely only do firstname surname. You could also so mobile no - but if he loses things regularly may need to change his phone :)

You can get a 5% discount with a Facebook discount. You like Medisave and it generates an individual code. Just did it for you - FB7864539579PL56761 - but if someone else uses you could generate one yourself.

Most people start with the Classic IISE but if your budget runs to a little more, cardiology III is the generally the next step up. Don't go for a paediatric one - no real point as he'll be working with adults for all but 6-8 weeks really.

Thanks Abby....

Great FB spot, and I'll certainly use it....

Thankfully, even though this young gentleman has a tendency to 'part company' with his phone, he keeps the same number, thank God... I'd never be able to contact him otherwise!... LOL!... So putting the phone no on it's an excellent idea....

Again, thank you for your time in replying...

God bless...

Darth....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Slightly off topic, but can I just say how polite and courteous The Lord of the Sith is!

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but can I just say how polite and courteous The Lord of the Sith is!

Ha Ha!!!!!!.... Well, thankee kindly, Mr Creosote!....

That's a lovely comment... Made my day!....

Thank you again....

God bless....

Darth....

• Advertisement
Advertisement