Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No smokes for 16 days.

Options
  • 13-10-2013 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭

No smokes for 16 days, as the thread says, because I've had a nasty cough, and will finally be going to the doctor about it tomorrow. I didn't have any plans to stop, but didn't feel like smoking at all for the last two weeks.

I am the kind of smoker who smokes 1-5 a week only, but if I go out drinking, most of a pack. If I'm not drinking at the weekend, it might be only one a week, usually on a Thursday.

I live in Japan, where smoking is allowed in pubs (often not on streets, though) and cigarettes are about 3.00 to 3.50 a pack. I usually go drinking with the same guy (a colleague at my university) but he's training for a marathon, so is off the drink, which will help me with the smoking too.

So, once the lungs are clear again, what should I be doing to stay off them? Any useful tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I read Alan Carrs book. Its a year and a half now, no inclination to smoke either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Download an app like quitnow. It gives you stats on how many cigarettes not smoked, money saved etc. Heres my stats since I quit.

Since 1 Jul 2012:
    469 days smoke free,
    14,074 cigarettes down,
    2228.38€ and 58 days, 15:24:00 saved!

I smoked rollies as I preferred them but if I had smoked "real" cigarettes at 20 a day my savings would be nearly 7k in 15 months. It also gives you health stats.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I didn't read any book, and have just been snacking on raw veg and fruit. I took up running a few months ago and want to run for longer.

Congrats on making it this far. That was the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Well, you're over the worst of any physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Probably the most important thing is to keep your motivation strong, and avoid any pitfalls.

Based on my own experience, I read the Allen Carr stuff when I was already about a month off them. I wasn't wavering but I think it was still a useful exercise in reinforcing how I felt about smoking and how great I felt about not smoking.

I also significantly increased my exercise regime, moving to 3 weight sessions a week plus some cardio. I did this to get physical gains which I would associate with smoking, to remind myself that 'I couldn't have lifted this/run that time/whatever while I was a smoker'. Basically upping my self-esteem and giving me something fairly tangible to lose if I went back in them.

I have also avoided alcohol, for the most part. This is based on one experience after about 6 weeks when I was fairly well on, and found myself with a lit cigarette in my hand. OK I walked away from it without smoking - but too close a call. I've had a glass of wine or three with dinner at the weekend since but that's it, so basically I've stopped drinking in situations where I know there will be cigarettes around. It was extremely surprising to me how strong the urge to smoke was when I was drunk in the situation described above, relative to how I have absolutely no interest in smoking when sober. A good learning experience which I got away with.

Too long : Didn't Read - Don't get drunk near cigarettes, exercise more, consider reading Allen Carr, even if you feel your quit is quite strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Good advice, Orlaw.

One thing I'm interested in though, is the method of quitting alcohol to help prevent smoking. I'm assuming the intention isn't to quit alcohol forever, but do people reach a point when they feel it's ok to go on regular nights out again?

I quit smoking on a Thursday ahead of a weekend where I knew I would be drinking a lot both nights with the idea that, if I could survive that weekend without smoking, I could pretty much survive any situation. It worked for me, although I found it extremely tough both those nights. Any time I tried to quit smoking before this, I'd quit on a Monday and, if I managed to last that long, I'd be smoking again as soon as I had a drink in my hand.

I'm interested in seeing how people coped when they went back to their regular alcohol consumption, if they went off the booze while trying to quit the smokes. Anyone been through this situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

beertons wrote: »

Congrats on making it this far. That was the hardest part.
    Thanks, but as I said, it was mainly because I've a cough. It was only after about 10 days that I decided to think about it as an opportunity to try and stay off them.

Downloaded that 'quitnow' app, and it's kind of interesting. Not too sure of the accuracy of the heslth benefits, but as long as the blue line keeps going, I'll be happy.

Just to update this, 94 days and counting.

Been out a few times too, not caved in. Found that i miss them most after a hard day, more than when drinking even.

Heres hoping it continues.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Tomorrow you can say you gave them up last year :D
    One day it really hit me that I hadn't thought about ciggies in over a month. It was then I knew I had them licked, keep it up, it gets easier and easier :)

Zombie thread!!

Was going through old posts looking for something else and came across this.

Still off them. 3 and a half years at this stage.

• Advertisement

That's deadly. I stopped running and went back on them. Back off them about 3 weeks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Well done OP. Just a word I was off them 12 years and went back on em. Don't ever let the guard down. Ever! Not even a puff. I was so disgusted when I realised I was hooked again.
    I'm off them 4 weeks today having been back on them 5 years.

Advertisement