Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing ubuntu from usb external hard drive

Options
  • 13-10-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I want to install to an ACER aspire one which does not have a disc drive and i do not have a USB stick. Can i use a usb external hard drive(which i do have) instead.

So can i create a bootable iso onto the external hard drive using the instructions for creating a bootable flash drive? I have googled around quite a bit and can't find an answer.

Rgds

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd say that if your BIOS allows you to boot from an external USB drive, then you will have no problems.

Given that there is no internal optical drive, I would say that it is most likely that you will be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Yes there is a USB boot option on those machines without optical drives.

You have to press the F2 button when booting to go into the BIOS mode and set your USB boot priority above the HDD priority.

You can put an Ubuntu ISO onto a USB stick with YUMI Multiboot Creator

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

thanks for the advice i'll give it a try

rgds

D

Advertisement