Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Signing on 1st / Short Term Rentals

Options
  • 12-10-2013 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm trying to figure out how many apartments / house shares won't require you to sign on the first? I've been browsing on Craigslist and it's hard to tell. Apartments I guess mostly want a first signing, while many house shares are more flexible. I thought I'd see does anyone know any more, what do you guys think?

I'm trying to balance booking flights early enough (maybe in Dec?) for a late February move to get good prices, move over at least a few days before the first of a month yet you can't be sure how quickly you'll get your LOI. Looking at past people's applications it could be 14th Feb-24th etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

From my experience landlords are quite flexible with the lease date! they all seem to advertise the 1st as the start date but if you begin renting half way through the month they will only charge you for that half months rent! I wouldn't let base your flight dates on this alone

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Hi I'm trying to figure out how many apartments / house shares won't require you to sign on the first? I've been browsing on Craigslist and it's hard to tell. Apartments I guess mostly want a first signing, while many house shares are more flexible. I thought I'd see does anyone know any more, what do you guys think?

I'm trying to balance booking flights early enough (maybe in Dec?) for a late February move to get good prices, move over at least a few days before the first of a month yet you can't be sure how quickly you'll get your LOI. Looking at past people's applications it could be 14th Feb-24th etc...

Are you talking about book flights before you apply for the IEC?
    I wouldn't book anything til you have the LOI in your hand to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Thanks everyone. That's great to know that they're quite flexible. That makes things a lot easier.

I think I'll cool it on the flights, excitement isn't always money-smart...Getting the LOI looks pretty straight-forward, I'm sure it'll be fine. Plenty of people in January this year booked ahead of the LOI because prices for Feb/Mar/Apr kept rising. I'll wait till Jan. at the earliest I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

If you're looking for something short-term I'd recommend a sublet. That's when someone has rented an apartment but needs to sublet it e.g. if they're going travelling, or they want to move before their lease is up. The apartment is still in their name but you deal with them directly.

You can typically find a sublet for 1 or 2 months, sometimes more, and they're not always from the 1st of the month. It's a good way to have somewhere to stay while you find something more permanent, closer to a job etc.

Any big city will have plenty of places each month, and yeah, there tend to be more coming free at the end of each month. In Montreal (maybe also other places?), July 1st is a big day for leases changing hands, something to do with people moving when schools out I think.

Advertisement