Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car in NZ

• 12-10-2013 6:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any tips? I got the Change of Ownership papers from Postbank and looking through them I need a permanent address (not quite sorted on that front, want car so I can go accommodation shopping) and a Kiwi Driving license number - I thought I could drive on my Irish one for a year? Not much use if you cant actually own a car!?

I know about the WOF and Registration, its just the paperwork for a private sale I'm concerned about. The new registration papers seems to be all buyer stuff, the seller seems to have to do their own paperwork (a small slip which I also have). Is there any serious "gotcha" I should be aware of?

PS: Im in Welly now and got that job offer sorted, have a Kiwibank account.. progress upon progress!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and a Kiwi Driving license number - I thought I could drive on my Irish one for a year? Not much use if you cant actually own a car!?
    I bought my car on an Irish licence without issue and only swapped to a kiwi one after a year. just use your Irish licence number

buy something you'll enjoy, it's achievable over here unlike at home with obscene tax and insurance. big engines are cheap to run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Just on this, I will be flying into Auckland on January 13

I hope to buy a car and do six weeks travelling around the two islands and then sell it when leaving from Christchurch. the car doesn't have to be an estate or van as we (2 people) intend to camp

can anyone give me some advice about best way to buy a car - auction or dealer or private
    what will I have to do for insurance, car tax etc

And then selling it at the end.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Trademe.co.nz would be a good start.

Also in most hostels there's a noticeboard where people are trying to sell cars/goods that they want to get rid of before they leave. Most ones up here will come with more than just a car too i.e. camping equipment and stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you don't need insurance and motor tax is called Rego, it's pretty cheap and can do it for 3 months at a time. Car will need to have a WOF (NCT) on it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

you don't need insurance and motor tax is called car registration, abbrevaitesd as "Rego", it's pretty cheap and can do it for 3 months at a time. Car will need to have a WOF (Kiwi for NCT) on it as well.

Fixed that for ya, so s/he doesn't get confused.

While insurance isn't compulsory it is highly recommended: if something happends, its very reassuring to have an expereinced insurnace worker on your side rather than having to negotiate with the other driver yourself. Insurance is cheaper in NZ than Ireland, due to the ACC scheme, and if you're really pushed, you can just get 3rd-party. But check if your travel insurance includes it - it may.

Also, if the WOF has expired, most Kiwis take the card for a test first, and then get the failed items fixed and re-tested, rather than "preparing" for the test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement