Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocoon Nebula

Options
  • 11-10-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Talk about a faint fuzzy!
    2liioee.jpg

60x120s exposures
    10x120s darks
    10 flats

It's so faint I mis-framed it and thought I hadn't captured it at all. I had to limit the exposure to 2 minutes due to my autoguider dying. Focal reducer was not needed - but now I have an accurate measurement of the width of my field so can calculate better in the future. Incidentally if anyone has a guider set up gathering dust or knows anything about fixing them please let me know.

Just realised this barely projects onto some screens: it's there. I swears :)

Brightened up the image so people will believe it's there:

2dtn42s.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Talk about a faint fuzzy!
    Incidentally if anyone has a guider set up gathering dust or knows anything about fixing them please let me know.

What's the problem with the guider? Connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Its an Orion SSIAG. A legendarily pernickety piece of tech. It was working fine but my laptop died and had to be reloaded. Now when I run PHD I get huge black lines running up and down the picture like an old cathode ray tv. It's unusable :( I don't know if its the drivers or the hardware. I tried another computer and same black lines so I suspect hardware.No idea how to even approach fixing it. No reason for failure either - it was carefully stored for the summer.

Its an Orion SSIAG. A legendarily pernickety piece of tech. It was working fine but my laptop died and had to be reloaded. Now when I run PHD I get huge black lines running up and down the picture like an old cathode ray tv. It's unusable :( I don't know if its the drivers or the hardware. I tried another computer and same black lines so I suspect hardware.No idea how to even approach fixing it. No reason for failure either - it was carefully stored for the summer.

Have you tried phd guiding 2? http://www.daddog.com/phd2

Worth a try - It looks hardware to be honest, checked connection loose, broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Bizarre. It turns out the hardware id on it had changed so the drivers no longer recognised it. I edited the hardware id in the drivers and bang - back working. Cue huge cloud front from the Atlantic!

Bizarre. It turns out the hardware id on it had changed so the drivers no longer recognised it. I edited the hardware id in the drivers and bang - back working. Cue huge cloud front from the Atlantic!

Nice one! Clear skies now hopefully soon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement