Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing networks.

Options
  • 11-10-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

I've finally had enough of 3 so I'm leaving them so looking around at the best alternative PAYG plans and the closest I can find to 3's all you can eat data (which is a joke because you can hardly ever connect with it) is Emobiles 30 euro top up for 1gb of data + 15 euro free credit or Vodafone 30 euro top up with free calls and texts to Vodafone numbers but only 500mb of data. The data was the only thing keeping me with 3 so Vodafones crap limit is worrying me. So out of the two who has the better coverage and service. Emobiles data limit should be fine but not sure about the quality of their network.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I've finally had enough of 3 so I'm leaving them so looking around at the best alternative PAYG plans and the closest I can find to 3's all you can eat data (which is a joke because you can hardly ever connect with it) is Emobiles 30 euro top up for 1gb of data + 15 euro free credit or Vodafone 30 euro top up with free calls and texts to Vodafone numbers but only 500mb of data. The data was the only thing keeping me with 3 so Vodafones crap limit is worrying me. So out of the two who has the better coverage and service. Emobiles data limit should be fine but not sure about the quality of their network.

Coverage will depend on the area you are in, best would be get a SIM card from each and test coverage, I'm with Meteor (same network as Emobile) I don't have any problems with coverage in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

nava wrote: »
    Coverage will depend on the area you are in, best would be get a SIM card from each and test coverage, I'm with Meteor (same network as Emobile) I don't have any problems with coverage in Dublin.

Thanks, I'm in Dublin too so should be fine. What's their data speeds like, 3 can range from as low as 0.4mbps to about 2.3mbps at it's rarest peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

You should have a look at Lyca, Tesco and 48. Lyca gives you unlimited calls/texts/data for €29, Tesco do the same for €30 and 48 have arguably the best €20 deal with 60 mins landlines, unlimited mobile calls and texts and 5 gb of data.

It pays to shop around.

Was looking at those too but their data isn't the greatest as o2 give priority to their network. 48 is a great deal and I'm very tempted but think they are capped at 2gb and Lyca is on 3's network so that's not an option. Want to stick with the majors but their deals are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Was looking at those too but their data isn't the greatest as o2 give priority to their network. 48 is a great deal and I'm very tempted but think they are capped at 2gb and Lyca is on 3's network so that's not an option. Want to stick with the majors but their deals are a joke.

Last time I checked, Lycamobile was on the O2 network.

Tescomobile's current payg offers are the best around imo. If you have a Tesco Clubcard its even better. For €15 a month you can have unlimited minutes to any Irish network.You keep your €15 and with it you could buy 2 add-ons, unlimited texts for a month and 1gb data. If you use more data you could get 5gb for €10.

• Advertisement

Tescomobile's current payg offers are the best around imo. If you have a Tesco Clubcard its even better. For €15 a month you can have unlimited minutes to any Irish network.You keep your €15 and with it you could buy 2 add-ons, unlimited texts for a month and 1gb data. If you use more data you could get 5gb for €10.

Thanks for that, certainly giving me food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

Oh does tesco have unlimited calls and texts to all network ? i can only see it saying free calls and text to tesco mobiles so that mean just them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭super hands

I'm also looking to change network but have been told I'd have to pay 115 to terminate contract..is it possible for a new network to pay your previous network in order to get your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'm also looking to change network but have been told I'd have to pay 115 to terminate contract..is it possible for a new network to pay your previous network in order to get your business?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tideswell

I'm due to change network on 16th January. If I switch now will I incur a penalty, apart from the standard monthly charge, which I accept is due?
    Am I better off waiting until 16th January?

• Advertisement
Advertisement