Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting for Wordpress & Magento

Options
  • 11-10-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 x Wordpress sites both with between 60-70 pages. I currently have a Magento site being built which will have 500 products on it. My current hosting for the 2 x Wordpress sites is on shared hosting I am considering getting a VPS to run all 3. I know nothing about VPS so I am wondering what amount of RAM, CPU, Diskspace and Bandwidth would i need to run all 3 sites? Any help much appreciated. Any if you reccomend any good hosting companies to use?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can't discuss any specific hosting companies on boards.

VPS isn't a bad route to take, are you able to manage a server yourself? Install updates/patches etc? If not you'll be looking for a managed VPS which will cost you more.

Can't really comment on RAM, CPU, Diskspace and Bandwidth without an idea of what sort of traffic your sites are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Thanks for the reply. Yes thought as much about the Hosting companies. I have someone lined up to look after it if i have any trouble. I see some operating systems are Windows are Linux what is best for Wordpress/Magento?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

Is where the only hosting recs are on listed boards due to long and painful history of hosting discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Magento will require 1GB RAM. The WordPress sites should use no more than 384MB. They could peacefully co-exist on a single VPS with 1GB RAM depending on the level of traffic / templates used. You could reduce the memory footprint by using Nginx instead of Apache for the web server.

Are the sites linked in anyway? Are the WordPress sites being used to drive traffic to the Magento site?

no12 wrote: »
    I have someone lined up to look after it if i have any trouble.

If that's when they're getting involved, they're too late.

You want someone to manage and maintain the server not fire-fight. This counts at least double if you're talking about an e-commerce solution.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    Magento will require 1GB RAM. The WordPress sites should use no more than 384MB. They could peacefully co-exist on a single VPS with 1GB RAM depending on the level of traffic / templates used. You could reduce the memory footprint by using Nginx instead of Apache for the web server.

Are the sites linked in anyway? Are the WordPress sites being used to drive traffic to the Magento site?

Yes the sites will are all linked different areas of the same business and as you said using the 2 wordpress sites to drive traffic to the Magento store. From the research I have done I am looking about €50-€60 a month to host with the spec you mentioned.

Graham wrote: »
    If that's when they're getting involved, they're too late.

You want someone to manage and maintain the server not fire-fight. This counts at least double if you're talking about an e-commerce solution.

Yes that's what I was thinking leave it to the professionals I will stay well away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Yes the sites will are all linked different areas of the same business and as you said using the 2 wordpress sites to drive traffic to the Magento store. From the research I have done I am looking about €50-€60 a month to host with the spec you mentioned.
    Is that a fully managed service? I manage my own servers so I would find that a bit steep for a Linux setup.

Talisman wrote: »
    Is that a fully managed service? I manage my own servers so I would find that a bit steep for a Linux setup.

That seems to be the price from the Irish based Hosting companies i have checked and I presume they are a managed service. I think it would probably be the best solution for someone like myself as I wouldn't be able to maintain it myself.

That seems to be the price from the Irish based Hosting companies i have checked and I presume they are a managed service. I think it would probably be the best solution for someone like myself as I wouldn't be able to maintain it myself.

If you're going the VPS route, don't assume that it's going to be a managed service just because of the price.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    If you're going the VPS route, don't assume that it's going to be a managed service just because of the price.

Ok thanks will ensure it is managed and is included in price.

Advertisement