Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 Subaru Impreza STI WRX engine cutting out

Options
  • 11-10-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

My impreza has started to cut out on me when I clutch it coming to a stop or traffic lights. This happens in the first 10-15mins of initial start. Once fully warmed this problem does not occour anymore. Am I in trouble? any ideas what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is it difficult to cold-start? Does it take a long time to reach full temperature? I'm thinking coolant temperature sensor. The ECU depends on that to know when to use cold-start enrichment map tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

It will start with first turn of key but may cut out in a couple of seconds. Second start it will start again but struggles to tick over. 5mins and it should be warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

bartbanis wrote: »
    My impreza has started to cut out on me when I clutch it coming to a stop or traffic lights. This happens in the first 10-15mins of initial start. Once fully warmed this problem does not occour anymore. Am I in trouble? any ideas what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i had a 96 impreza myself a few years ago its was a 1.6 wrx replica with identical issues with it as you are having,i had to change the air flow meter and oxygen sensor,it solved the issues thankfully

I do hope it's as simple as that! My mate had a 2000 P1 and these problems occoured. 2months later, engine gone!

I do hope it's as simple as that! My mate had a 2000 P1 and these problems occoured. 2months later, engine gone!

check the coil on it as well bloody car was notorious for those 3 problems when i had it,parts are very expensive,in the end it was bye bye subaru,they can quite easily become a money pit

• Advertisement

Only have it a couple of months! not an everyday car, just weekends! I'm broke since i bought it!

Only have it a couple of months! not an everyday car, just weekends! I'm broke since i bought it!

i only had mine about a month or 2 before it started giving trouble,plus they are extremely rare in scrapyards,sorry i ever bought one,you going to keep it or sell it on???i had a seat leon cupra,now that is a car,reliability was excellent i.m.o only thing is a good one aint cheap

Ill keep it for another while yet! i've been longing to own one for a long time! I also own 2008 ovtavia vrs diesel. best car i ever bought

Ill keep it for another while yet! i've been longing to own one for a long time! I also own 2008 ovtavia vrs diesel. best car i ever bought

sure if you have the skoda you cant go wrong,a passat with a different badge,better than the subaru???

yes, I think so. very happy with it. Subaru can be a heartache but i'm smiling every time i'm driving it! until something goes wrong!

• Advertisement

yes, I think so. very happy with it. Subaru can be a heartache but i'm smiling every time i'm driving it! until something goes wrong!

thats the thing with those cars,you would nearly fall in love with the bloody things,wheel bearings and shocks were another issue i had,for a subaru its was highly unreliable,did you find out the problem with yours yet???

heading to mechanic on friday. he will have it for weekend! lets hope thats all that needs to be fixed this side of xmas! did you have problems with shock tops?

heading to mechanic on friday. he will have it for weekend! lets hope thats all that needs to be fixed this side of xmas! did you have problems with shock tops?

hopefully he does sort it once and for all,had problems with the shocks full stop,i replaced the front set after they collapsed only for the same to happen the rear's 6 months later,as with yourself when it was running good tge car was great but once the problems kept coming it was a headache,the petrol pump packed up at on stage as well,€300 to sort that,but thosr cars grnerally take a lot of abuse in the wrong hands,maybe i was just unlucky but i doubt it was all down to previous owners,watch out for the release bearing in the clutch also,the clutch kits are expensive,is yours a gc3 or gc4???thats how they identify the kits,its on the chasis number

I don't know but I will check. Good to know,thanks. Lucky for me this one has been minded and completely standard, exactly what I was looking for. I test drove a few of them and nothing came near to the one I purchased. I supose you can be lucky or unlucky and I've had my fair share of bad luck with cars! Can you remember how much timing belt and water pump cost? Also getting that done on friday.

I don't know but I will check. Good to know,thanks. Lucky for me this one has been minded and completely standard, exactly what I was looking for. I test drove a few of them and nothing came near to the one I purchased. I supose you can be lucky or unlucky and I've had my fair share of bad luck with cars! Can you remember how much timing belt and water pump cost? Also getting that done on friday.

should be like anything else really,once you look after them they'll be grand,i was charged €300 for the belt and pump in 2006 but am not sure were they genuine subaru parts or not,depends on the garage as well some guys will try and rip you off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

€300 is a good price, had mine done few years back cost over €600.

Can i have the name of the place where you got yours done.

Muckie wrote: »
    €300 is a good price, had mine done few years back cost over €600.

Can i have the name of the place where you got yours done.

if yours cost that then mine were definately non genuine parts,the garage is in cork,bear in mind that was in 2006 in the boom time,like everything else prices are gone up since then

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rufio777

not up on subaru's but maybe try clean the throttle body, in particular the Idle air control valve, this might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egp1Uhp1DVA

it turns out my guy will carry ou work this weekend and he just informed me belt and pump will be €350 not including fitting. I had this kind of figure in my head. He will look at the throttle body and the idle air control valve first so hopefully will solve it. I noticed a coulpe of times that car wont wait until time has lapsed on turbo timer, 20-30 seconds left on turbo timer then cuts out. cant wait to have all these issues fixed!

rufio777 wrote: »
    not up on subaru's but maybe try clean the throttle body, in particular the Idle air control valve, this might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egp1Uhp1DVA

Video was helpful, thanks. Don't think id try it myself, not yet anyway!

• Advertisement

any idea where would get a good set of 18" gold rims, second hand? multispokes maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rufio777

Keep an eye on donedeal, adverts etc also maybe join up to the Subaru owners club, www.isdc.ie[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    sure if you have the skoda you cant go wrong,a passat with a different badge,better than the subaru???

the octavia is not a passat it is a longer golf or even a bora or jetta. the superb is more like the passat. it uses the same chassis or platform as the passat.

etxp wrote: »
    the octavia is not a passat it is a longer golf or even a bora or jetta. the superb is more like the passat. it uses the same chassis or platform as the passat.

point taken,i was just generalising

it turns out my guy will carry ou work this weekend and he just informed me belt and pump will be €350 not including fitting. I had this kind of figure in my head. He will look at the throttle body and the idle air control valve first so hopefully will solve it. I noticed a coulpe of times that car wont wait until time has lapsed on turbo timer, 20-30 seconds left on turbo timer then cuts out. cant wait to have all these issues fixed!

how much is it including fitting,have you a big list to sort before its 100%???

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    how much is it including fitting,have you a big list to sort before its 100%???
    no that is it. will be 100% after them repairs. im not sure cost including fitting, but he is very resonable so im not too concerned about it. Isnt the superb based on an audi A6 chasis?!

rufio777 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on donedeal, adverts etc also maybe join up to the Subaru owners club, www.isdc.ie[url][/url]
    Thanks, I am registerd with ISDC and have been searching done deal and adverts with no success. Hoping to get second hand, there are new ones there but out of my price range unfortunately

Advertisement