Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.Y. Charcoal Fridge

Options
  • 11-10-2013 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

There is a very simple method of making your own fridge/cool-box using very basic tools and materials and no need to be a superman to do so.

The best way to understand the concept, which is very basic, is to recall the ways trucks and lorries would have a weeping canvas bag of water hanging on the front end. Very common way back when - in hot places especially, Australia, Africa.

Porous material, water and wind = cool/cold.

The simple fridge materials required:

Chicken or bird wire fencing
    100 mm diameter (roughly) poles or planks
    perforated plastic guttering, or plastic piping
    charcoal
    water

Build a double-walled wire fencing box/chest/room of the size best for your needs. Space the wire fencing walls with 100 mm poles or planks.
    Fill the spacing between the double wire with charcoal chunks.
    Perforated gutters/plastic pipe on top of each wall.
    Normal gutter below each wall to collect water to recycle.
    Solid flat roof on top, or normal roof as per a shed to collect rainwater.

Slow trickle saturation of charcoal, can be done with plastic barrel above roof level or piped.

Set the fridge outside where the wind can get at it.

You may be astounded by the temperature inside - even in the hottest climates.

As an off-the-grid appliance, this goes a long way. If nothing else, a fun project to show the kids.

Enjoy

Wildquill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mightymouse vs Dangermouse

Hello again WildQuill

Would it be possible see a pik of one or even better, a step by step photo set??
    I know, i know im a lazy so and so but i find it dificult to put written text into action in comparison to pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wildquill

I'll see what I can find - I'm pretty sure I have a concept design for my natural air-conditioner, which is the same idea, but just one panel.
    Give me 20 mins or so...

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

You're talking about a evaporation cooler:

abba-pot.jpg

Wet sand is placed between two pots. The evaporation process draws heat from the inner pot. Common in Africa but not really too practical in cold, wet Ireland.

I'd be happy to sit down and sketch it out and explain it with anyone who is interested, perhaps if time allows even build a small example, hands-on with individuals or a group. It's so simple in design that it confuses at first, but once done, it becomes a "DAWP!" moment... :)

I found the concept design of the air-conditioner finally, but because I have "commercial" intent with it, it'd be best to refrain from exposing it on the web.
    Glad to show in person though. Should be there in November.

Cheers,

Wildquill

Yeah, good on you for the pot cooling - that has apparently been around for centuries. A wonderful, simple way of explaining the basic concept.

• Advertisement

The basic difference is that the charcoal fridge requires wind to be most efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Coolgardie Meat Safe is one Australian name for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe

Beaut! Thanks mate. Good explanation in that link. In past research I found many people dabbling in evaporative cooling - even on a commercial level, but the large majority incorporate chemicals and seem to over-complicate the values.

It seems that simplicity and harmony are far more appropriate, with far-reaching benefits.

Money, greed, power... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A whole freshly caught fish can be kept fresher for longer in hot weather if it is put in a wet sock.Water evaporating off the sock keeps the fish cooler.

Advertisement