Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Special Rate-SUSI

Options
  • 11-10-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi.

I applied to susi for my fees to be paid. I have always received the special rate during my undergraduate days as my parents have been on long terms social welfare payments. However, i received a letter from susi rewarding me the standard rate which is €2000 to put towards my fees. I was expecting the special rate of €6000 as my parents income is under €22,000. I spoke to SUSI, and they told me they would review my application. Has anyone experienced this before? Really hoping susi made a mistake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

as far as I know you are only entitled to fees, SUSI do not pay maintenance grants for post grads

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Is your parents' income combined under €22,000 or do they both earn €22,000 each?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

My girlfriend had a similiar problem last year, got awarded 2,000 but should have received the full rate. The university finance office even told her she should have gotten the full rate. On appeal her grant was upgraded, but as far as I recall in the T&C Susi had a section that essentially meant you lost the right to appeal if you didn't appeal within a certain number of weeks. Appeal it as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I was in this situation last year... although I'm a mature student... but was on welfare with my grown up children at UNi on the special rate. In the end I had to enlist the services of a TD... but yes you should appeal and maybe contact your TD.

Advertisement