Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Advice For Sea Fishing

Options
  • 10-10-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm new to sea fishing, and will be doing most of my fishing from the shore in the Dublin area. But would be willing to travel a bit if some good spots could be recommended!

Fished Dun Laoghaire and Howth only. Dun Laoghaire, caught a huge amount of Mackerel a couple of weeks ago. In Howth today, caught 1 only!!

I just have a few questions, and hopefully some of you guys can help me out.

Is sea fishing seasonal? For example I noticed in another thread that someone said the mackerel will be gone soon. Does that apply to a lot of the species?
    Am I wasting my time fishing this time of year?

I did some sea fishing in Australia and used to love fishing the bottom of the sea bed using some squid or fish strips, and waiting for the rod to twitch!!
    Where are the best spots around the Dublin area for fishing the bottom using, for example, ragworm or mackerel strips? I would love to try that type of fishing again. Is it good for that this time of year?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm getting the sea fishing bug!!!

Thanks.

Zak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

check the replies on the other forum you posted the same question on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Salty Dave on Irish sea angling has lots of advice on this very topic. Joining a local club would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Salty Dave on Irish sea angling has lots of advice on this very topic. Joining a local club would be your best bet.

Thanks Boston Whining Dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

mackeral are a seasonal fish they usually turn up in numbers around jully,august september then start to head of again esp on the east coast, but dont worry there are other fish which will start moving in soon as the water cools, if your fishing a beach dont be afraid to fish just behind the break of the waves, for flounder and bass, codling will make an appearance soon but the east coast hasnt been great for them for the last few years, maybe a trip down to cork and you will see decent numbers and some good fish,

the best thing to do is to tag along with some regular anglers and pick it up as you go, or join a sea angling club, www.ecrsac.com is a great club with some great anglers full of advice and tips, they also have some great casters in the club who are always more than willing to help out with casting to help you get the extra distance which can help at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

dbrock wrote: »
    mackeral are a seasonal fish they usually turn up in numbers around jully,august september then start to head of again esp on the east coast, but dont worry there are other fish which will start moving in soon as the water cools, if your fishing a beach dont be afraid to fish just behind the break of the waves, for flounder and bass, codling will make an appearance soon but the east coast hasnt been great for them for the last few years, maybe a trip down to cork and you will see decent numbers and some good fish,

the best thing to do is to tag along with some regular anglers and pick it up as you go, or join a sea angling club, www.ecrsac.com is a great club with some great anglers full of advice and tips, they also have some great casters in the club who are always more than willing to help out with casting to help you get the extra distance which can help at times

Thanks mate. Good info there.

Hoping to go out with some experienced beach fishermen soon. They've offered to show us the ropes. Looking forward to it.
    A club could be the next step. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement