Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saab mechanic

Options
  • 10-10-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, anyone know any mechanic around Waterford that specializes in Saab cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

fotografya wrote: »
    Your probably gonna have to start looking towards a few eastern european mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

Might be worth posting in Motors. A few lads from Waterford should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

what's the issue? Depending on what you need, you might have to go to Corbetts....Basically, Saab use their own software (tech 2), no indie mechanic that I know of has it as it costs a fortune. If the car needs a code scanned then you will get a basic read from an obd scanner, but after that it's off to the dealer with you.

Give a few more details and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Had a Saab for a number of years and when the engine blew my own mechanic recommended Fergus Madden in Cork who has a huge reputation around the country. He now has a website http://www.fmautos.ie/

He was excellent to deal with and I can certainly recommend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

Agree re F.M. Autos. 5 minutes from cork airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

There is a guy in kilmacthomas a Saab enthusiast and repairs and restores old Saabs is bit of a Saab nerd. Cant think of his name but he lives across the road from the garda barracks in kilmacthomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fotografya

Thanks for the replies guys, my saab needs a turbo replacement and the corbetts quoted me €2k :) I might give fm a call tomorrow.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

I had to get a new turbo in a Quashqai and it was €2K so it might not be far off:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

SK76 wrote: »
    I had to get a new turbo in a Quashqai and it was €2K so it might not be far off:(

2k for a new turbo? Jeez think ill sell my modern car full of electrics and try and find an okd 1.4 golf, modern cars are too expensive to repair and diy mechanics certainly cant do anythingvwith them, I do realise the op's saab is probably old but a turbo diesel none the less and probably with a high spec. One day when I find the right old golf ill downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fotografya

found the part from a scrap yard today, now it is going to cost me €340 fitted...BTW, my beloved 9-3 is 2005 1.9 tid and done 225k miles so far with no major issues. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

found the part from a scrap yard today, now it is going to cost me €340 fitted...BTW, my beloved 9-3 is 2005 1.9 tid and done 225k miles so far with no major issues. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks

How much are the scrap yard charging for the turbo? What's the mileage on the car it came out of?

To be honest, the life of a turbo can vary massively. Quality of oil used, how regular oil changes were done, how hard it was driven, allowing it to cool can all affect the life of a turbo. If you are planning to keep the car for the longterm, I'd be looking at a reconditioned turbo rather then one from a scrap yard. If it's costing that much to fit it, I wouldn't want to have to pay that much again next year to get another one fitted if this one fails!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

Bought a honda accord off them last year, and car was great they had it ready for me tank diesel and new tyres and gave me a good trade in for my mazda they were a bit cheaper than in rest of country, alot of cars and a good few saabs, I'd recommend em

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭invara

I think most mechanics should be able to sort it out. Refurbished ones from turbo tech in dublin cost me around 450 and 4 hours labour. Brought it up myself.

Advertisement