Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying House from Bank???

Options
  • 10-10-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Hope this is the right place for this.

I have been looking at this beautiful dormer bungalow in the countryside for the past 3 years. When I first seen it I thought it was a "brand new" house. Today this house is completely overgrown with trees starting to grow up against the house. I started to do a bit of research as to who owns this house in order to buy it. I checked with the PRAI, the estate agent that had previously advertised it a number of years ago and with the neighbours. No one seems to know who owns this house "except to say the banks own it". I checked with my local planning office who confirmed the house was actually built about 7 years ago and not 3 years like I presumed. I contacted the builder who applied for the planning permission but he told me he sold it and that was as much as he could tell me. I contacted the local Gardaí. they don't know either and had themselves made enquiries regarding ownership. I rang NAMA, they say its not there's. I rang most of banks (none of which seem to know whether they own it or not). Is there any way of finding out who owns this house. I would love to buy it so much.

Also one neighbour told me that the person who owns the land doesn't own the house. This doesn't sound right to me. I presume if someone built a house on someone elses land then the land-owner would automatically own the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Also one neighbour told me that the person who owns the land doesn't own the house. This doesn't sound right to me. I presume if someone built a house on someone elses land then the land-owner would automatically own the house.

I would presume what they meant by that was that the land owner sold a site and whoever bought the site built on it. I'm guessing that the site is a plot sectioned off from a larger field and whoever sold the site originally owns the larger field. Perhaps thats where the neighbour was drawing the distinction?

Still it a shame to see what you say is a nice house go to rack and ruin.

I could be very wrong but I don't think any banks sell houses directly to the public. They would still be sold through an Estate Agent. It would hardly be a case of popping into your local branch anyway and doing some wheeling and dealing there...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you a local or a blow-in?

Chances are that someone local definitely knows. Whether they're willing to tell or not may be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Land Registry is your best bet... request folio for the property. This will contain registered owners name or company and the name of any bank that has a charge over the property.. my money is on the property being owned by a now bust building company and the bank concerned being anglo...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also be prepared for a long wait if you find out which bank, there was someone on here last week who waited 6 months even though seller was happy with price but bank said no to the sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 homequest

Clonesbabe
    I am in a similar situation and am curious how things panned out for you. Have you any advice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement