Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD r9 280x

Options
  • 10-10-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys, I plan on buying one of the new r9 series of graphics cards (the 280x in this case)
    The cheapest one I can find is on dabs.ie (MSI for €292), which has the 'ordered upon request' status. I know some people have had problems with this before but since this graphics line has just been released, I don't think there would be Any problems? I know some people often have problems with items being discontinued etc.. But would a newly released product have this problem?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's just a rebranded 7970. I'd go for a 7950 and overclock it to be honest. Clock for clock it's only 5% slower than a 7970/280x and costs significantly less.

This for example can be got for €70 less with 3 free games.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-msi-radeon-hd-7950-twin-frozr-oc-be-28nm-5000mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-1792-cores-dvi-hdmi-2x-mini-dp

Or you could get the 7970 with the best cooler and 3 free games for under €270 delivered.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-asus-radeon-hd-7970-directcu-ii-top-5600mhz-gddr5-1010mhz-2048-cores-4x-dp-dvi-d-dvi-i

• Registered Users Posts: 46 markbreen17

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's just a rebranded 7970. I'd go for a 7950 and overclock it to be honest. Clock for clock it's only 5% slower than a 7970/280x and costs significantly less.

This for example can be got for €70 less with 3 free games.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-msi-radeon-hd-7950-twin-frozr-oc-be-28nm-5000mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-1792-cores-dvi-hdmi-2x-mini-dp

Or you could get the 7970 with the best cooler and 3 free games for under €270 delivered.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-asus-radeon-hd-7970-directcu-ii-top-5600mhz-gddr5-1010mhz-2048-cores-4x-dp-dvi-d-dvi-i

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that 7970 would fit in my case it is MASSIVE haha. But with the 280x you get support for mantle which could lead to better optimisations down the road etc..

I'm pretty sure the 7000 series supports mantle as well. They are the exact same cards after all. Both are based on the GCN architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭superMarco

I'm on the same case as you mark, I'm going to buy a r9 280x as well. I actually have a cf of 5850 since 5 years now and I kinda feel that I need to change. (I know that I could wait bit longer but still)

I know that its rebranded 7970 but if I'm going to spend 5 more years with a new graphic card, I prefere to buy the lastest one and be good for the next 5 years ^^.

I wanted to buy a 7950 at the beginning, and after 1 years or maybe 2, to sell it and buy the r9. But while I will wait, I will loose a lot of money with the selling of this one and it will not be a smart move for me.

I don't know how long you're going to keep this one, but if its for a long time, you can invest a bit more than usual, because you're not going to buy a new one in years like me ! I'm going for the r9 280x vapor-x sapphire, and I will OC this one a bit more as well :)

Btw, while I'm here, someone as some bench from this card or its not out yet ?

superMarco wrote: »
    I'm on the same case as you mark, I'm going to buy a r9 280x as well. I actually have a cf of 5850 since 5 years now and I kinda feel that I need to change. (I know that I could wait bit longer but still)

I know that its rebranded 7970 but if I'm going to spend 5 more years with a new graphic card, I prefere to buy the lastest one and be good for the next 5 years ^^.

I wanted to buy a 7950 at the beginning, and after 1 years or maybe 2, to sell it and buy the r9. But while I will wait, I will loose a lot of money with the selling of this one and it will not be a smart move for me.

I don't know how long you're going to keep this one, but if its for a long time, you can invest a bit more than usual, because you're not going to buy a new one in years like me ! I'm going for the r9 280x vapor-x sapphire, and I will OC this one a bit more as well :)

Btw, while I'm here, someone as some bench from this card or its not out yet ?

Yeah currently I think the 280X is the best value for money, seeing as it's pretty much a 7970ghz but cheaper than the GHz edition.

• Advertisement

Which one do you want to buy then ? because I would like to go for the vapor-x, but I've hear people say that its kinda noisy..

superMarco wrote: »
    Which one do you want to buy then ? because I would like to go for the vapor-x, but I've hear people say that its kinda noisy..

Probably either the Asus, vapor x or possibly MSI

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the 7000 series supports mantle as well. They are the exact same cards after all. Both are based on the GCN architecture.

Exactly. Honestly anyone buying a 280x over a 7970 is a fool, assuming they can find a 7970 for a better price.

It's a waste of money to be honest. A 7950 is still by far the best value card. Clock for clock it's only about 5% slower than the 7970 and the R9 280x.

You can also get 3 free games with the 7950/70.

You can lead a horse to water anyway....

Is that possible to OC the 7950 to reach the possibilities of the R9 280X ? I mean, I wanted to buy a graphic card that I could keep for years.. and I thought the 280X would be a good value ?

• Advertisement

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Exactly. Honestly anyone buying a 280x over a 7970 is a fool, assuming they can find a 7970 for a better price.

No, not true. The 7970 at the moment is about the same price as a 280x, and the 280x is faster. You need to buy a GHz edition 7970 for it to be at fast as the 280x, and the 7970ghz is even dearer.

No you don't. You just buy one with a good cooler and overclock it yourself.

A 7950 overclocked to the same speeds of a 280x or 7970 is only going to be around 5% slower for around €100 less depending on what prices you can get.

The sapphire vapor-x, Asus direct CU and the HIS ice-q have the best coolers from what I've seen but lot's of others have good coolers.

Advertisement