Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone’s 4G network to go live in Ireland this Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

"In order to avail of Vodafone’s 4G mobile broadband, customers must have a 4G-ready device and a 4G SIM. The current range of 4G mobile broadband-ready devices on the Vodafone network include: K5008Z dongle, R212 Mobile WiFi and Sony Xperia Z tablet."

Does it mean it won't be available now on smart phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

chriss745 wrote: »
    "In order to avail of Vodafone’s 4G mobile broadband, customers must have a 4G-ready device and a 4G SIM. The current range of 4G mobile broadband-ready devices on the Vodafone network include: K5008Z dongle, R212 Mobile WiFi and Sony Xperia Z tablet."

Does it mean it won't be available now on smart phones?

Not sure what you are asking...

You need a 4G ready phone/device and there aren't that many available as yet and even if they were available they have to use the right frequency bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

bealtine wrote: »
    Not sure what you are asking...

You need a 4G ready phone/device and there aren't that many available as yet and even if they were available they have to use the right frequency bands.

I am coming from Hungary, there when 4G went live last year, the local provides did not allow 4G access from phones, only from 4G broadband dongles. I am just asking, if the same happens here?

With other words, if I have a 4G ready phone (Galaxy S3 LTE) with vodafone with a business contract, will I get 4G on Monday morning if I live in a covered area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yes, you'll get 4G when it goes live but you might need a new SIM card.

Meteor's launch actually targeted handsets more so than it targeted dongle services.

Provided your phone is 4G-ready and supports the bands that Vodafone are using, you'll be fine. Just drop into a store or call them and get a new SIM if you need one.

Most of the 4G ready Android and Windows phones are fine with all the bands likely to be used here. The iPhone 5 is restricted to 1800MHz networks and it's possible that Vodafone will also have a lot of 800MHz coverage.

The iPhone 5C and 5S are completely compatible with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Other providers require you to change your plan to avail of 4g. Even if you are in a 4g area with a 4g phone you'll have to have a 4g plan to use it. Is this the case with Vodafone or will changing the sim just do? Also, 20gb data allowance for mobile broadband is pretty rubbish. Even if it was 40/50 gig would make a big difference for someone like me.

Advertisement