Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of 24sqm of kitchen extension.

Options
  • 10-10-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi , I'm about to get some builders in to quote me for the above extension . It's the full width of the 3 bed semi ..
    Roughly what price range should it be looking at ??
    The roof type will more than likely be a lean to with a couple of big veluxes ..the extension will be all open plan so an rsj will be needed ..

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

hawkelady wrote: »
    Hi , I'm about to get some builders in to quote me for the above extension . It's the full width of the 3 bed semi ..
    Roughly what price range should it be looking at ??
    The roof type will more than likely be a lean to with a couple of big veluxes ..the extension will be all open plan so an rsj will be needed ..

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Completely depends on spec, usage, windows, finishes etc etc but I would budget in the 23-30k bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

kkelliher wrote: »
    Completely depends on spec, usage, windows, finishes etc etc but I would budget in the 23-30k bracket

Cheers , it will be more or less an extra room for the kids , ie couch / tv .. I will be using my existing kitchen window and French doors so I won't need any windows except for the veluxes. Thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Cheers , it will be more or less an extra room for the kids , ie couch / tv .. I will be using my existing kitchen window and French doors so I won't need any windows except for the veluxes. Thanks again
    have you considered the benefit of windows your kids can look out of, as apposed to rooflights?

BryanF wrote: »
    have you considered the benefit of windows your kids can look out of, as apposed to rooflights?

Reason I'm thinking of holding onto the French doors is to keep the cost low , in fairness the French doors are quite large with plenty of glass ..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Completely depends on spec, usage, windows, finishes etc

Completely agree with this, you can spend as much as you want.

Is the builder going to design it for you? Have you seen any extensions the builder has done in the past?

• Advertisement

purelike wrote: »
    Completely agree with this, you can spend as much as you want.

Is the builder going to design it for you? Have you seen any extensions the builder has done in the past?

I have seen a few jobs the builder has done and they are of a high quality.

I'm just looking for a ball park number , I have 23-30k . Does anyone reckon I'd get the work done by a competent builder for let's say 20k ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I have seen a few jobs the builder has done and they are of a high quality.

I'm just looking for a ball park number , I have 23-30k . Does anyone reckon I'd get the work done by a competent builder for let's say 20k ?

If you spec a €20k job then yes if course you can. Unless you spec what exactly you want then its hard to be accurate and the prices will vary depending on the views taken by builders

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

If you spec a €20k job then yes if course you can. Unless you spec what exactly you want then its hard to be accurate and the prices will vary depending on the views taken by builders

Completely agree with this again.

You need to be a little bit more specific. For example, what types and level of finishes do you want etc. Such as a flat torch on felt roof will cost a lot, lot less than a pitched roof with slates. Different materials will cost you more. Higher quality will be more expensive, etc.

You could probably get that extension built for less than 20k, but it might look like a shed in an industrial estate.

Advertisement