Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing, Ordinary or Honours Degree??

Options
  • 10-10-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Folks,

Anyone know what the difference between the ordinary and honours degree is from a jobs perspective?? Started 3rd year this year and the workload already is nuts so im unsure whether to stay on and do the extra year.

Any advice be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As someone who literally just had that decision I'll say two things:

1) How good is your CV?

2) Test the water, apply for jobs, etc...

I'll write a full post tomorrow (if there's not one by 10pm, PM me and I'll remember), only in the door after being on the go from 7am so I'm in no mood to be writing an essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I done 3rd year, unfortunately I failed one module (which I repeated in January and passed). So come May, I was stuck in the situation whether to do 4th year or try get a job in IT. Threw out a few CV's and got a job, if I hadn't of got a job I was going back to do 4th year/working part-time.

Now a 22 year old at the time, my CV was fairly impressive, along with a mountain of IT related projects I've been involved with.

Like I said above, test the water. Stick with college, while applying for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

phishcakes wrote: »
    Folks,

Anyone know what the difference between the ordinary and honours degree is from a jobs perspective?? Started 3rd year this year and the workload already is nuts so im unsure whether to stay on and do the extra year.

Any advice be greatly appreciated!

As someone who has completed 4th year (now working 4 years in industry) stick with it! The workload is tough in 3rd and 4th year but it does pay off.

If you are looking for development work the majority of employers are looking for the best they can get and generally that's BSc. Hons and 2.1 at a minimum. I know any position I have applied for that has been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rebel_kt

All I can say is there is a massive shortage of personnel in the IT sector not only in Ireland but throughout Europe. I have been working for 5 years now as a software engineer and I know that many companies often struggle to fill positions. In saying that I also know that a good qualification is very important in their selection process in particular for graduate positions (they have no other frame of reference).

I would def have a look at the market to see what jobs are going. Even talk to some recruitement agents who would have a better idea as to what companies out there are looking for in terms of hires. But remember that getting into the industry in a graduate position your qualifications are very important. After a few years it becomes more about experience than qualifications.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Cheers lads
    Now a 22 year old at the time, my CV was fairly impressive, along with a mountain of IT related projects I've been involved with.

Like I said above, test the water. Stick with college, while applying for jobs.

I'm a 30 year old mature student with mostly retail experience on my CV so im not sure how that will stand to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Cheers lads

I'm a 30 year old mature student with mostly retail experience on my CV so im not sure how that will stand to me.

I'm a major student at 25 and believe it or not most of the other major students in there 30's are taxi drivers.

Wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Cheers lads

I was a mature student when I did it too (even managed to add a child to family in middle of it and move house too lol) experience of any type stands to you, the fact you decided to go back and retrain will really stand to you

Advertisement