Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Retires..

Options
  • 10-10-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Finally, after all the speculation, Sachin Tendulkar has announced his impending retirement after his 200th test (against West Indies at home in Nov 2013).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/678469.html

May divide opinion, but no one can deny the impact he had on Cricket over the last 24 odd years.

Farewell, Sachin.. and thanks for the memories!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There are going to be incredible scenes at his final matches in India.

It would be great to see him go out in style - I hope he can pull out one more great innings (and avoid a final test Innings like Bradman's)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The only opinion that he seems to divide is whether or not he should still be playing. He is hands down the best cricketer of my lifetime and one which we might not see the likes of again for a long time. I feel privilaged that I can say I grew up watching one of the greatest there has ever been.

Im just gutted that the only time I have gotten to see him play live Roger Whelan cut his innings short when he was just getting into his stride :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Best straight driver ever.

It was time to call it a day, a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Cricket at least for me won't be the same without Sachin, that too watching in Stadiums. Watching on TV is something different but the Sachin chants and cheers when he is on the field is something else.

I had been to a Match in Bangalore, Sachin wasn't even playing but whole stadium just started Sachin chants out of nowhere. He is just loved in every part of the country and in every stadium you will hear the Sachin chants. I will miss it for sure.

I was a cricket lover just because of him, when I started watching he was a youngster who was making his name as a exciting batsman. I feel privilaged to have watched his entire career from then on and how he always answered with his bat to his critics. His form after 2007 World cup was just amazing and his form in 1998 was just brilliant.

Farewell Sachin. India will miss you on the field. I don't think there is any batsman who will make you stop work and watch cricket in cafeteria or make people stand in big queue to watch cricket on the TV displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

IMHO he should have retired after that euphoric high of the 2011 World Cup win in Mumbai.....but unfortunately he was on 99 hundreds at that time and in his seemingly endless pursuit of that elusive 100th 100 lost some of his sheen.....but still you can't help but salute what he has achieved.....reckon he will be to cricket what Mohd Ali was to Boxing , Michael Jordan was to Basketball and Fedex was/is to Tennis

I'm looking forward to SRT's final test.....it will be great to see an Indian ground packed to the rafters for a Test Match - it's been a while!!!

Thanks for the memories SRT:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

he has possibly 4 innings to get 163 to reach 16000 test runs....will he do it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Greatest cricketer I've ever watched. I too reckon that he should have called it a day after the World Cup. Regardless, I'll enjoy watching his final few innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

I've mentioned it a few times in the past that I'm not the biggest SRT fan. Yes he had a fantastic career. Yes, he has dealt with the massive fame and adoration of his fans remarkably.

But essentially, he is just a very good player (top 10 in history) who happened to have a very long career as well.

In the same way that I think I would have preferred a trip to Hove to watch Ranji and Fry rather to the Oval to watch Hobbs, I'll treasure the times I watched Lara, Richards and Athey as opposed to Tendulkar

You cant describe someone as "just a very good player" and then turn around and say that they are one of the top 10 in history :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Think we're into Dunphy territory here. Wouldn't you say that to be one of the best players in history, you're very good?

• Advertisement

Renno wrote: »
    I've mentioned it a few times in the past that I'm not the biggest SRT fan. Yes he had a fantastic career. Yes, he has dealt with the massive fame and adoration of his fans remarkably.

But essentially, he is just a very good player (top 10 in history) who happened to have a very long career as well.

In the same way that I think I would have preferred a trip to Hove to watch Ranji and Fry rather to the Oval to watch Hobbs, I'll treasure the times I watched Lara, Richards and Athey as opposed to Tendulkar

alot of people prefer lara because of the 'style' of his batting- wristy and flamboyant.
    while his (SRT) longevity gives him an advantage in runs scored it also means maintaining a good average is harder. out of the top 10 test scorers he has the 2nd highest average after kallis. maintaining that average for ~25 years is certainly a feat of genius.

slightly OT: who thinks kallis is overlooked sometimes...surely must be in the top 3 ever to play the game?, with a very strong argument for him being the best ever.

Renno wrote: »
    Think we're into Dunphy territory here. Wouldn't you say that to be one of the best players in history, you're very good?

Maybe I took you up wrong but it was the way that you had written it; to say that he is just a very good player (as if to mean he is a level below greatness) and to then say that he is top 10 in history seems to me to be a bit of a contradiction :)

slightly OT: who thinks kallis is overlooked sometimes...surely must be in the top 3 ever to play the game?, with a very strong argument for him being the best ever.

Im not sure about top 3 ever, but I do agree that he is often overlooked. His test stats (over 13000 runs at 56 and 288 wickets at 32) and ODI stats (15000 runs at 45 and 270 wickets at 31) are quite frankly ridiculous. Has there ever been a better all rounder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Sad to see SRT go, but at the same time pleased too as it ends the speculation that has gone on for years now. Any word on what he'll do next?
    djimi wrote: »
    Im not sure about top 3 ever, but I do agree that he is often overlooked. His test stats (over 13000 runs at 56 and 288 wickets at 32) and ODI stats (15000 runs at 45 and 270 wickets at 31) are quite frankly ridiculous. Has there ever been a better all rounder?

Garry Sobers is the obvious answer, though Kallis has had an incredibly long career, much longer than the others he would be compared against so perhaps he tips it.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Garry Sobers is the obvious answer, though Kallis has had an incredibly long career, much longer than the others he would be compared against so perhaps he tips it.

Forgot about Sobers of course! Kallis might pip him for me tbh, purely because he his stats are so good in two forms of the game, and also he has done it for longer and has scored far more test runs.

I say this however as someone who has watched Kallis his entire career and who never had the fortune of seeing Sobers play, so perhaps someone who has seen both might see things differently rather than just basing it on stats comparisons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

Fantastic player but like some others I always looked forward to watching the likes of Brian Lara playing more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Did the Windies not get a copy of the script?

To add salt in the wound Hawk-Eye would have saved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tendulkar finishes the day on 38 not out.

He looked solid - it'll be interesting to see how far he can go tomorrow.

Good to see he scored a few runs at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You'd have to think this will be his last innings after that score from the Windies. Would love to see him finish on a high. The only test I've ever been to see was England vs India at the Oval in 2011, I went especially to see Tendulkar bat before he retired. He came out to bat after lunch and ended the day on around 60 odd not out. Was delighted to see him bat and not just stand around in the field all day. Dravid was in some form that summer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

38 not out, great platform . It would be very fitting if he went on to make a century. Hope he goes out with a bang

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Deonarine

It was meant to be;)

Advertisement