Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rb motors ashbourne

Options
  • 10-10-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Do not buy off this crowd shower of cowboys!! Had a verbal agreement on the sale of a car was on my way down wit the cash and he just sold the car on me b4 I got there very disappointing!!! Would never but off these again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

You registered just for that? to be honest, if I was selling a car, unless I got some form of deposit, I wouldn't "hold" a car for someone, first come first serve etc. Plenty of decent cars out there for sale, keep looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

This happened to my girlfriend in England before, (she is English), they even took a deposit from her card but still sold the car before she returned...the following day!

Some major cowboys in that industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Look at it another way

If you called down and saw that the car was not what you expected, would you.

A - Walk away and buy elsewhere.
    or
    B. Honour your telephone agreement to buy the car and be left with something you didn't want.

If you knew the amount of people who ring places, ask info and then say they will be down to buy the item and then never turn up, you'd understand the garage side.

They did absolutely nothing wrong - you had no deposit, you made a phone query, you said you would call down - but they've heard that one many times before.

And then you register on boards to "punish" them.

Weehaw - hope you feel great now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Cash is king
    No payment, no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LYNDSEYGAHAN

Ghobson wrote: »
    Do not buy off this crowd shower of cowboys!! Had a verbal agreement on the sale of a car was on my way down wit the cash and he just sold the car on me b4 I got there very disappointing!!! Would never but off these again.

Hi All, just wanted to make people aware to these guys, bunch of cowboys and terrible guys to deal with, do not buy a car from these!
    i bought Peugeut 206 off them a few months ago and they promised Nct and gave a guarantee with my car, when i went back they fobbed me off with every excuse under the sun. the car failed its Nct and the car was not Road Worthy what they sold me
    Warning bells people!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LYNDSEYGAHAN

Hi All, just wanted to make people aware to these guys, bunch of cowboys and terrible guys to deal with, do not buy a car from these!
    i bought Peugeut 206 off them a few months ago and they promised Nct and gave a guarantee with my car, when i went back they fobbed me off with every excuse under the sun. the car failed its Nct and the car was not Road Worthy what they sold me
    RBS MOTORS WALKINSTOWN

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

RBS MOTORS WALKINSTOWN

Never exchange money without these things being sorted in advance. Have heard that old yarn many times on here, where the garage verbally "agree" to get the car through the NCT post-sale. Needles to say it never happens once they've gotten their money, as in your unfortunate case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShortTerm

I found them fantastic to deal with. I read these posts before buying a car in RB motors in Ashbourne back in January but went ahead anyway. I registered here today just to say that I actually thought they were brilliant. Very pleasant to deal with. I bought a 2006 Audi Q7 in fantastic condition and a very fair price. I was offered a 3 month third party warranty included in the price but I don't trust those things. So I asked the guy to give me his word that if anything major went wrong within 3 months (10 year old car after all) that he would fix it. Shortly afterwards, a throttle flap went (very common on those engines). He could have tried to argue about it but he posted me a cheque the same day so I could get the work done locally in Cork. You can't say fairer than that! I would definitely buy there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

@ShortTerm, do you work for them?????

@ShortTerm, do you work for them?????

No. Just a very happy customer. I know it's easy to forget but the Internet doesn't have to be exclusively for negativity! 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ShortTerm wrote: »
    I was offered a 3 month third party warranty included in the price but I don't trust those things. So I asked the guy to give me his word that if anything major went wrong within 3 months (10 year old car after all) that he would fix it.

You declined a written third-party warranty in favour of a verbal warranty of the same duration from a secondhand dealer :eek:
    ShortTerm wrote: »
    Shortly afterwards, a throttle flap went (very common on those engines). He could have tried to argue about it but he posted me a cheque the same day so I could get the work done locally in Cork. You can't say fairer than that! I would definitely buy there again.

The dealer posted you a cheque in advance to get the problem fixed by a different garage - how did you or he know how much the fix was going to cost? Estimates almost never cover the actual costs.

This is fairlyland stuff. Even the fake reviews on Tripadvisor don't come close to this crap.

You registered four months ago to post a positive review in a thread that had lain dormat for 14 months, then you posted nothing for four months and within 24 hours of being challenged, you replied with your second post on boards.

And you still don't work for them?

Third party warranties have loads of wriggle room. I read it carefully and figured I would have zero chance of getting something like a throttle flap (most likely thing to go wrong on a Q7) covered by a third party warranty but maybe a slim chance of getting it covered by a dealer.

Fairyland stuff, you say. Agreed. Which is why I went to the bother of registering for the forum, as I said originally.

I got an notification email notification when I was asked a direct question the other day and again today when you posted. Other than that, I have never posted on any board of any description because I feel they are a waste of time...and I'm not seeing anything to change my mind here...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭2time

road_high wrote: »
    Never exchange money without these things being sorted in advance. Have heard that old yarn many times on here, where the garage verbally "agree" to get the car through the NCT post-sale. Needles to say it never happens once they've gotten their money, as in your unfortunate case.

the wise thing to do here is get a written agreement from them and if they are genuine they will have no problem with it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

2time wrote: »
    the wise thing to do here is get a written agreement from them and if they are genuine they will have no problem with it at all

You need your head examined if you hand over money to a secondhand dealer on that flimsy promise, verbal or written.

The 'wise thing' is to tell the dealer to put the car through the NCT.

Advertisement